1994 sea doo 657cc slow turning over

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron787gsx

Hey everyone I just recently picked up a 1994 sea doo with the 657 motor for a steal and has really low hours on it and hasn’t ran in about 2 years. I did a compression test on it and bothe cylinders were trading 150psi. Now I installed the spark plugs back into the cylinders and attempted to turn it over and it was turning over very slowly any pointers on what might be causing this? There is no oil shooting out of the spark plug holes.... and now I was using jumper cables to turn the engine over and it was on a good battery. Just curious would appreciate the help thanks

I'm no expert, but I am experienced. I have a 91 and 95 GTX. Could be a bad battery, a poor connection to the starter, a charging-system problem, or the battery is being drained while it sits. You dont keep the key in it when you're not riding, do you? If the slow cranking occurs after the engine is hot, it may be a faulty starter or poor charging.

Last edited:
Pull the rear flywheel cover off, the gray shroud at the rear of the motor held on with plastic wing nuts. With the spark plugs out turn the flywheel by hand. Everything should turn easy, motor and pump. I say do this because it's a new to you machine and I just want to make sure things are not binding up.

The normal checks would be to make sure you have a strong battery connected solidly to the machine. Just bacause it says 12 volts on the meter doesn't mean there is a "good" charge thst keeps the voltage up when you put a load on it. NEVER EVER boost the battery when connected to the machine, never jump start the machine since these situations can damage the mpem (computer brain module thingamajig) and then the machine is really dead.

The next check is to see if you still have a stock starter. Look under the pipe/expansion chamber and see of the starter is black (aftermarket junk) or the whiteish motor color (original oem). If it's black get on ebay and order up a stock starter and a brush kit. If it's stock you might have worn out brushes which can cause slow cranking, order a brush kit and rebuild the stock starter. A rebuilt oem starter is better than an new aftermarket starter anyday. Worn brushes are common and easy to fix.

Make sure the red wire to the starter post is solidly attached with a clean connection.

Do the quick spin, starter color checks and let us know what you find.

Okay great thanks everyone I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t anything serious I just picked it up for close to nothing and it’s clean with the trailer I will probably start on it this weekend and give an update thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back