RESTO 1994 GTS 587

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

diaremes

Hello guys! Happy new year to everyone! A month ago a 1994 gts 5814 with a 587 white engine came into my possession.
3.jpg

The original motor is in pretty bad condition. It was seized for about 10 years. So I started tearing it apart and all the surprises that it was hiding started to unveil. Both cylinders need replacement because of aluminum corrosion . The crankshaft was in pretty bad condition as well and needs new bearings etc. So I teared it apart and left it in a corner.
5.jpg
48394593_290831908236164_8071674254329905152_n.jpg
The plan was to find another motor and so I did. I bought the only motor I could find here in Greece. Its a yellow possibly 587 (I am saying that because the id tab was saying type 454 but as far as I know there are no seadoos with this type of motor).

Anyway, I bought it because I couldn't find any other motor here and it was pretty cheap.
So I received the yellow motor about a week ago and started planning how to do a test run , since its a different motor and it was not complete. So, I took the magneto and coils from the white motor, the starter, the intake manifold and the carb, the exhaust and the electrics.

The good news is this motor is in much better shape than the white and I managed to make it work. It runned great but just for a while because I hadn't connected any water supply in it and didn't want it to overheat ( maybe ill post a video later).
48921759_1859826447480423_2161792718093680640_n.jpg

So far so good. I am so happy the yellow motor runs and almost everything I needed from the white motor fits the yellow! Its a big step towards the good direction!

Now to the bad news in my project gts…
This yellow motor is in good overall condition. The only bad thing I saw before cranking it is some corrosion in a specific place only. In the back side of the rotary valve shaft there is a plug. So this plug doesn't exist anymore. All the salt water just destroyed it as you can see in the photo
49206062_368035303930987_864079984673685504_n.jpg

My plan now is to manufacture a plug in these specific size and simply put it in place with liquid Teflon after cleaning the whole area. But I would like to remove the rotary valve shaft so I could replace the bearing and see the inside condition of the crankcase.

My questions if you could help me are :
1) Is this plug simply aluminum or is it a zinc anode? So it sacrifice itself to save the motor?
2) In order to remove the rotary valve shaft do I have to dismantle the whole motor as the manual says? Or can I do it by slowly rotating the crankshaft while extracting the rotary valve shaft? ( I used this method to exctract the rotary from the white motor)

Cheers!

I don't think the plug you ask about is zinc. Most likely Aluminum. I've never pulled a rotary valve shaft so I can't help there... sorry. As long as the plug is not responsible for maintaining "thrust" clearance your plan should work. :) Liquid Teflon as a sealant? Not sure of the product you plan on using but I'd rather use something stronger. In my shop I'd use Gray RTV or Permatex No 2 along with a "tap in" fit for the part. This isn't something you'll remove for a long long time hopefully. I know shipping isn't cheap getting parts across the ocean but we have plenty of that stuff over here. Good Luck !!

Last edited:
You are much better off rebuilding the white 580 engine and not messing with tat yellow one.

I want to give the yellow a chance because it's working fine. If her only problem is the plug i'll fabricate one very easy. Finding another motor here, is almost impossible. Ordering parts for the white motor is a bit expensive... i'm gonna need a lot of stuff and lots of shipping costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back