RESTO 1993 XP, sat stored for 13 years.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlgannett

Recently picked up a '93 XP of what turned out to be a barn find. According to the owner it was winterized in 2006 and sat under a cover on a stand in the garage since. Other than a heavy layer of dust the machine looked like new so I told him if it will turn over I'd take it. Connected a battery I brought with me and it turned over freely. I paid him $600.00 and loaded it in the back of my truck (including stand). The fuel and oil tanks were drained but I assumed the carb's would need a rebuild. They really didn't; I pulled the carb's and disassembled for rebuild and they were completely clean and gaskets were still supple. The paint on the fasteners was original and had not been cracked from a previous rebuild. The machine received an unnecessary carb rebuild but saved me in that being a newbee to the Rotax engine, pulling the carbs alerted me to the fact that the oil injection lines disintegrated when you touched them. If I had just put some gas and oil in it and fired it up I would have toasted the top end. After reassembly the machine fired right up and ran like a clock. All the exterior needed was a good bath and then an application of ceramic coating. The machine was from Ohio and had never touched salt water until my sea trial. During sea trial, according to GPS, the machine went 48.7 mph with a strong side draft and a moderate chop. The trailer it's on is ugly as I purchased the machine on a stand so I had to take a small flat bed trailer I already had and convert it to hold the XP. The photos tell all. There was no buffing or polishing done. Just washed and CMX applied.IMG_20190825_154219663_HDR.jpgIMG_20190825_154232194_HDR.jpgIMG_20190825_154219663_HDR.jpgIMG_20190825_154258635_HDR.jpgIMG_20190825_154341420_HDR.jpg

That thing looks mint.
I would still suggest replacing the gray fuel lines as they were never meant for ethanol fuel and the fuel selector as well as a pump oil change. Other than that the only other thing to watch is the wear ring as they can blow apart from being old.

What you really need to do is put that machine in a crate and ship it to Alaska..??

Awesome find my Friend. For sure replace the gas lines and make sure all the oil lines and fittings are solid. Did you change the oil in the jet pump? Give the motor a grab after the first few rides and make sure it isn't wiggling around from an aged motor mount breaking. If the carbs are good inside and it runs good then enjoy it!

That looks really nice! I have a 93 and a 94 myself. I get a little abuse for the green and the "pink" combo but they are so much fun for the price. I hope you have a lot of fun with yours!

Previous owner had all the fuel lines changed out before it was stored. Lines are supple and never had fuel in them. Jet pump oil is on the winter to-do list.

Don't mean to change the subject, but those older machines can still last quite awhile! An example, I have a 1992 Honda Goldwing motorcycle with 89,000 miles on it. I rode it in May from Indianapolis to Southwestern Colorado and back. I rode 4,500 miles in 19 days and only issues I had was a flat front tire, that I believe I ran 80 mph on for 2 days before I had the leaky valve stem replaced. Still running on that tire and believe, I can easily get another 100,000 miles out of my Goldwing. Don't let age bother you. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. The reason most go to junkyard is because people don't take care of them. Enjoy your new find!

Check the videos section, I have put up a couple of my 94 XP. It was a throw away machine, the previous owner gave it to me. I had to do a full rebuild on the pump and motor, there wasn't much budget for cosmetics. It's sort of like a "Rat Rod", lots of custom tweaks, looks rough but runs perfect and strong. Unfortunately winter is here and my daily riding area, the Chena River, is building up ice by the hour (see videos). I might be able to squeeze one more ride in tomorrow which will make November 3rd the latest I have ever ridden.

The offer to ship it to Alaska is still there....

As for age? Put it this way, you can't buy a versatile machine like yours anymore. You either have to buy a monster with a four stroke that weighs 700 or more pounds or buy a little machine with a plastic hull that will crack eventually. No single seat, fiber glass light weight machines being made anymore. I have far more fun on my XP than I do riding a supercharged, 70 mph, "boat".

Last edited:
You either have to buy a monster with a four stroke that weighs 700 or more pounds or buy a little machine with a plastic hull that will crack eventually. No single seat, fiber glass light weight machines being made anymore. I have far more fun on my XP than I do riding a supercharged, 70 mph, "boat".
I went to the dealership today to price some x3s and the size of these new seadoos surprised me by a lot compared to the 90s skis i own

Don't mean to change the subject, but those older machines can still last quite awhile! An example, I have a 1992 Honda Goldwing motorcycle with 89,000 miles on it. I rode it in May from Indianapolis to Southwestern Colorado and back. I rode 4,500 miles in 19 days and only issues I had was a flat front tire, that I believe I ran 80 mph on for 2 days before I had the leaky valve stem replaced. Still running on that tire and believe, I can easily get another 100,000 miles out of my Goldwing. Don't let age bother you. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. The reason most go to junkyard is because people don't take care of them. Enjoy your new find!
I've never been afraid of older machines. Just a little history; I've been turning a wrench since I was six years old and spending my summer vacations with my father at his shop, he was a GM master mechanic. I also went to a Vo-Tech highschool in south FL and took motorcycle mechanics as an elective all four years; although we spent most of our time working on the instructors drag bike, a supercharged KZ1000. I started out with watercraft in the 90's. Switched to motorcycles in the 2000's. When the population boomed from 2004-2008 traffic became very congested and I several close calls with idiots on four wheels. Sold all five of my bikes and got back into watercraft.

Check the videos section, I have put up a couple of my 94 XP. It was a throw away machine, the previous owner gave it to me. I had to do a full rebuild on the pump and motor, there wasn't much budget for cosmetics. It's sort of like a "Rat Rod", lots of custom tweaks, looks rough but runs perfect and strong. Unfortunately winter is here and my daily riding area, the Chena River, is building up ice by the hour (see videos). I might be able to squeeze one more ride in tomorrow which will make November 3rd the latest I have ever ridden.

The offer to ship it to Alaska is still there....

As for age? Put it this way, you can't buy a versatile machine like yours anymore. You either have to buy a monster with a four stroke that weighs 700 or more pounds or buy a little machine with a plastic hull that will crack eventually. No single seat, fiber glass light weight machines being made anymore. I have far more fun on my XP than I do riding a supercharged, 70 mph, "boat".
Actually, I picked up a 93' GTX recently and rebuilt it as the XP would not carry both my wife and myself. Haven't taken it for a sea trial or taken photo's yet. If everything checks out at sea trial I will reluctantly be selling the XP.

Just a suggestion.

Two machines are better than one. They are reliable machines, but if one breaks down you have a backup to get you home. I have my 94 XP and I picked up a 94 GTX for my Wife. I don't ride in the ocean so if I have a breakdown solid land is always near by. Oceans???? Not so much...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back