1993 to 1991 bombardier yellow to white engine swap help needed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

daedna

Hello, I am new to this site and pwc's but have quite a bit of experience with engines...as I am an R&D technician for Stihl. I have several questions regarding an engine swap I am attempting...hopefully someone can help. BTW, this is a low/no budget project, I have a manual, and I don't have access to any special tools except what can be rented. And the white motor ran when in the donor pwc just before I removed it. Ok, here goes:

1. Is there any reason I cant swap a 1993 SPI white (really its biege) 580 Rotax to a 1991 GT which had a yellow 580 Rotax? Anything I should beware of?

2. I swapped the yellow magneto/coil/ig mod/housing to the white engine because I read it had more power and made the swap easier...is this true? Anything special I have to do?

3. Should I be able to run the engine out of the pwc with the 5 wires coming from the magneto area disconnected? I tried and am not getting any spark. If not, how can I verify the electronics are working prior to mounting the engine?

4. How should I shim the motor when performing a swap...and have lost track of where they were anyway?

5. I found some broken plastic pieces around the impeller...how hard is it to remove the impeller and related components? The manual shows all these special tools...are they required? Are impeller related failures common?

I would greatly appreciate any help you all could give me! Thanks, Dave

1) It's basically a bolt in project

2) Nope... they are all the same... but you want to use the electronics that match the hull. That makes it easier.

3) Not exactly sure what you are asking... but you need all of the ignition hooked up to start it. (along with a kill switch)

4) No way to tell. You need an alignment tool to do it properly.

5) It's not hard at all. BUT... you need an impeller tool.

Thanks for the response, What I was asking in #3 was:

How can I check for spark prior to mounting the engine? I have tried a few things and believe there is a fault in the ignition system.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back