1993 SPX Recondition

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

chamilton89

Fellow Seadoo owners, I need a lot of help...

So here is my story:
I was given an abandoned 1993 SPX that was sitting on a couch on an abandoned lot. I have no information regarding its condition but want to get it back up and running in the best condition I can for the upcoming season. Last year, before it was put into storage, (fuel stabilized, gas run out of carbs, battery removed) I did manage to get it up and running with little effort. replaced the battery, new plugs, and fresh gas. Was run for just a few seconds at a time on a trailer with very blue smoke (mostly due to wrong oil I believe)

That being said I want to put a little money and a lot of wrench time into getting it to run and operate as best I can and im looking for links or tips and tricks for things i SHOULD do to get it back up to operating condition. Any information would be greatly appreciated on procedures and links to purchase replacement parts would be great. I am a good mechanic but oil injected 2 strokes are new to me, so consider me an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to service the fuel system. If it has gray fuel line on it that needs to go. You can use regular automotive fuel line. A 25' roll of 1/4" will cover the entire system. You'll need close to 25 small stainless steel hose clamps. I get mine at home depot in the plumbing section near the brass fittings and rolls of tubing. You should pull the carb and clean it/rebuild it. The jet pump has oil in it and that should be drained and refilled. If it's milky it will need a full rebuild as the seal has been compromised. This should get you going.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. Also, can you change the thread title from 1994 to 1993. Much appreciated. Is there a link on how to change the pump oil?

Welcome! the best thing to do is find a manual on the internet and download it. FULL of great information. Youtube has vids on changing oil. Really simple. Just buy some valvoline synthetic gear oil from an auto parts store and you are good to go. You will also need some loctite gasket sealer. Cant remember the number though. A clean fuel system, fresh correct injection oil, and fresh pump oil should get you a long ways. When you change the oil, check the wear ring in the pump to make sure it is good. Good chance you will need one if the clearance is too high (over the thickness of a dime). Ask lots of questions here and post pictures of the ski and your problem areas. And have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check compression before you get too deep on spending cash, post your compression numbers here for advice if you are unsure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the great info. Great on cars, terrible on injected twin carb two strokes.

Questions so far:

What weight gear oil for the jet pump?
What is good compression numbers for the 93 ski?
Best Fuel line to buy/ where to get it?
Should i attempt to dial in the carbs, and if so, how do I adjust both carbs at once?

150 in each jug is perfect. Anything below 130 is very iffy

Just standard 1/4" black automotive fuel line is fine. About 25'

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Thanks for all the great info. Great on cars, terrible on injected twin carb two strokes.

Questions so far:

What weight gear oil for the jet pump?
What is good compression numbers for the 93 ski?
Best Fuel line to buy/ where to get it?
Should i attempt to dial in the carbs, and if so, how do I adjust both carbs at once?

Jet pump oil: Mobil 1 75W/90 LS

275.jpg

So, I've been doing a ton of reading up and I forgot to mention when I found it the hull was full of oil, assuming leaking from the oil tank. I've been trying to locate the two "grommets" described in the repair manual but I can't seem to find the part numbers for my 93 spx anywhere. Any idea the part numbers for those two grommets?

Also, should I try to dial in the carbs after the rebuild or leave them as is?

Maybe there is a link where I can get the part diagram for my 93? Still looking for those grommets and the repair manual doesn't have the part numbers.

Did you get it registered into your name? Without that I would be leery to put money in to it as you don't legally own it.

Hope it works out and you get it back on the water.

Yup, it's all mine. Got my title a few weeks ago. Still need to get my registration, just haven't gotten to it yet.

The other thing that concerns me as the current two stroke oil in the tank. I'm 97% it's incorrect and I plan on draining the tank, emptying the lines and replacing the small injector lines, is this enough? I read that mixing oils can lead to real issues and I'm slightly concerned about what little oil will still be left on the oil pump and larger lines.

You could remove the tank and clean it with gas. You should drain the rotary valve shaft as much as you can. You can just disconnect the lint that goes back to the top of the tank and lay it down in the bilge and let it drain out and tilt the ski if necessary. You'll never get it 100% out of that, but you're better off getting most than none. The don't forget to change the oil filter that goes to the oil pump. As well as changing the 3/32" oil lines.

Awesome. I'll do just that, I wasn't sure how to get the oil out of the rotary but that method sounds great. That being said, should I be super concerned about the oil left in the rotary valve or will it work itself out? And any more info on how I can get a new set of grommets for my oil tank?

So first things first. I got the boat out of its winter slumber and throw the battery in it. Fired right up. I also took a look at some other things I still was curious about. First thing... I have an SPX, which is a dual carb ski. somewhere along the line, someone decided that it only need one carb. Oh well.

My bigger worry was this. I knew I had an issue with one of the motor mounts, I only glanced at the issue originally and thought the mount was missing. As it turns out, the motor mount is there and in good shape. I have a much larger issue I think. See the pictures below

As you can see from the pictures, the front right motor mount (PTO SIDE) is about an inch from the mount when all three other mounts look to be sitting straight and in good shape.
As there any reason this could happen that I can't come up with? Ive never seen such a thing and the only thing I can come up with is that 1) its not the correct motor cradle for the ski or 2) someone bent the $hit out of it and reinstalled it anyway. Any idea at all???

I'm going with the engine being dropped while it was out. Like you said they just reinstalled it anyway. It takes a lot of force to bend a plate like that so I'm guessing it fell of the bench or something. I don't see that happening in the ski.

Anyway you want a good used bedplate. They are everywhere so shipping might be more then the part itself.

Thats kind of what I was thinking sadly.... How difficult is if to remove the engine? Everything looks pretty straight forward except removing the pump from the engine PTO. Anything I should know when I do the removal?>

You need to rent an alignment tool and have some stainless or aluminum shims on hand to do it right. If you want to go renegade I would get a two foot thick metal pipe and a five pound hammer and smack that ear back down where it can be bolted to the mount again.

Yeah... I may just half ass it to be honest. I really would rather not pull the entire motor and rent an alignment tool. Are there tell tail signs of the pump is way out of alignment?

Thanks again everyone who helped me get to this point. Ive been able to really enjoy what this little ski has to offer so far on my vacation but a few small issues have developed.

First, I don't seem to have any noticeable increase in speed or engine RPM (although it is hard to tell since I think I'm caveating at that RPM) above about 2/3 throttle. I pulled the carp and cleaned the HS needle and seated it +1/4 turn. Also note that although I have an SPX (dual carb) somewhere along the line it was changed to a single carb engine)

Second, I replaced the wear ring but I think the impeller has pretty much had it. I think that is why I'm experiencing so much cavitation at the top end. Anyway, currently it has a skat trak impeller at 13-19. Anyone have any recommendations on a new unit? Im thinking I would like to get back to a Solas but the only one I am seeing is a 13-18. This a good pitch/impeller for a dead stock single carb 587? What kind of top speed should I expect with that unit? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back