1993 SPX - No spark...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshwater_Doug

Hey guys!
I'm working on my brother's 1993 SPX and we found that he has no spark. I pulled out the gray box and found that the 15 amp fuse was blown. Further investigation showed that the yellow recifier wire had rubbed down and arc'd out on the positive post of the solenoid. There were a few other wires that were bare too. I fixed them all up and gave it a try - sure enough spark! That was at about 11pm on a Tuesday. On Thursday evening we tried to start her and no go - but no spark. The wires were fine, and the fuses ok.

After searching and reading on here I want to thank everyone who has posted on similar issues - GREATLY APPRECIATED! Yesterday I unplugged the black/red wire from the MPEM and I have lot's of spark. Reconnect and nothing. I've checked the steering kill switch and the landyard switch and both open and close accordingly.

Here's my question. I'm in Ontario and Canada in general is pretty bad at stocking parts for Seadoo's. All the "Platnium" certified dealerships in my area suck - one even went bankrupt. They have no parts, no customer service and absolutely NO interest in talking to anyone with a craft older than 3 years. Sorry for ranting... I just want to confirm that it is the MPEM that's likely shot. Any suggestions for anything else to check? Also, any other CDN's here have a similar problem and had to get an MPEM? I've found an aftermarket company in Quebec, but they haven't returned my email yet. I even said "bonjour!"...go figure. :rant:

Finally, has anyone been able to open up their MPEM and repair it?

Any suggestions/thoughts are greatly appreciated. Again - to everyone else who has posted on this before - THANKS!

Cheers!
--T8

I hear yah man!

Hey i live in belleville, ontario and it is the same here man, the dealer is not very helpful, they just want me to give them my house and 1 arm to look at it. I am having problems with my seadoo as well, intermediately not starting, i am also wondering if it is the mpem, (that would suck) :(

Sorry I dont have any techincal help to offer you cause I am need some help myself but your post caught my attention so I am gonna keep an eye on it so see you make out.

Good Luck with your doo!!

search'n the site...

good job Doug, BUT... gonna need a mpem, however, theres tons of those out there...ebay, craigslist..etc, or take the other route, and get new "aftermarket" one...
OEM #278000262....google/yahoo that number, and you'll find a source.:cheers:

Good to meet you!

Hey!

Some good news (of sorts). Yesterday I went over to Cal-Jet (near Finch & 400 area) only to find out that they went bankrupt last week. They have a new owner and a new name: Aqua-Jet. I met the owner, Michael Poloniato, and he said that by next week they'll be up and running. The place was completely empty. Anyways, I expressed my disgust with the previous company and with the one in Georgetown and he said that they will be "committed to service" and that he cares about customers. Fair enough, I'll give them a try and post my findings. Maybe we'll finally get a good BRP dealer without having to drive to Barrie.

In the meantime, I'll let you all know the MPEM progress. As for intermittent spark...maybe check your connections. If it only does it when warm then it could be a loose/corroded connection. I found some rust in my brothers. You may also have a cracked coil which could do that too.

Cheers!
--T8

Hey Timmyboy,

Actually I want to thank you especially because you're the man with the info! Your other posts on this subject was awesome and greatly appreciated! :hurray: Sincere thanks buddy!

I'll go that route then and get another MPEM. Guess it's better it fails now before hitting the water.

:cheers:
--T8

Mpem found

HEY MAN SAME TROUBLE DOWN HERE IN NOVA SCOTIA SUCKY DEALER IN THE HALIFAX AREA

RASIN PIE TO TIMMY BOY TO HE'S BEEN LOTS HELP.. FOUND A DEALER 4 MY MPEM IN NJ AT atlanticjetsports.com THEY LIST MPEM 278000070 4 $163 US GOT TO MY DOOR AT ABOU$280 CDN ALL IN. SOMEONE DOWN HERE IN ANAPOLIS ROYAL SELLING ON KIJIJI FOR $320

WHO YOU GOT IN QUEERBEC

Hey Rick!

The Quebec dealer is www.jolautim.com. They were the only Canadian aftermarket retailer I could find! I sent them an email inquiring into the price for the #04-220 (oem #278-000-070) and they replied the next day.

Will keep you all posted. So jones'en to get out on the water!

Cheers!
--T8

Last edited by a moderator:
** update **

Hey guys,

Thought I'd post an update. Got the new aftermarket MPEM last week and was able to get it installed last night. Tried her out and we've got spark! Engine fired up right away - yahoo!!

Incidentally, the aftermarket MPEM does have a white, rubber-covered button, a red LED light and what some have referred to as a silver "dial". Actually, the silver part is the top of a capacitor. The white button is to change the rev limiter, but it's factory set, and shouldn't need to be changed. I'm guessing the LED is there to signal a change. The aftermarket MPEM fit in exactly like the old one did. Used dielectric grease on all the connections and made sure the nuts were secure.

To my fellow Canuck's who like me, might have trouble sourcing parts in Canada....it's more cost effective to buy in the US. Better selection, better pricing, better service!! Besides, USPS works well with Canada Post.

Special thanks to everyone who has posted here regarding MPEM testing, etc. Your info is greatly appreciated!

Now to get them in the water and enjoy!

Cheers!
--T8

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back