1993 SP Compression question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Poeschl

Hi Guys (and Gals),

I am a newbie to the PWC world. I have boated for a few years but this fall I decided to pick up a project for the long Minnesota winter. I found an old 93 SP that had been sitting in some guys backyard for 5 years. Fortunately, he had a cover on it and his yard was total shade so the unit, while really dirty was not in that bad of shape. Only paid $200 with the trailer. So brought it home. First thing I did was pulled the starter as it was frozen up. Ended up it was rusted inside. Cleaned it up, threw in a set of brushes and a bendix and it works perfectly. Put in a new battery, it cranked over but would not start. Took the carb off and found someone had really messed that up too. Put a kit in it, primed it and the ski started right up.

It’s too cold to take it out to see how it runs on the lake. My question is, I checked the compression and it reads 120/125. IS this acceptable or should I just pull the jugs and inspect, maybe throw in a set of rings? Any advice would be appreciated.

150 is perfect. 120 is time for some sort of rebuild. Many do just a top end and are happy with the results. Do you still have the Grey Tempo fuel lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the lines inside were changed when I got it and look to be in great shape. As far as a rebuild, what can happen if I don't? Will I cause more damage? Secondly, is it usually just rings or is it rings and pistons?

The longer you wait the quicker things will fail. You will get blowby into the crank area. This will affect how well the ski runs and put extra stress on seals and what not. Once most get around 120 psi, they do pistons and rings. A re-jug is probably the best thing to do. At some point, the crank and rod bearings will need addressed as well. In re-doing the top end, it will put stress onto those bearings that has not been there. It is not uncommon to be forced to do lower end work once you have done the top end...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back