1992 XP 587 Won't Start After Riding ~30 Minutes

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

B_PWC

Strange issue.

I have a 1992 XP 587 white with the following.
• Rebuilt Carbs (Mikuni Kits)
• New Solenoid
• New Rings (honed cylinders; 140 compression on both)
• New top end gasket kit
• New Exhaust gaskets
• New Battery
• Black Fuel lines (No Grey Tempo)
• Inline clear fuel filter
• Fresh Gas (Premix)

The ski is new to me and did not run when I got it. After putting on the new rings I put it in the water and it ran but would hesitate and only run for about 45 seconds. I determined the carbs needed to be rebuilt. Got both carbs rebuilt and set proper pop off pressure (if I recall just under 30psi); started with the high speed set to 0 and the low speed set to 1 ¼. I put it in the water and it ran good with only a little hesitation at WOT. After riding for a little bit I stopped for lunch, went back to the ski and it won’t fire. It will turn over, has spark (plugs are milk chocolate in color not wet), I pulled the fuel line where it comes out of the mag and into the PTO carb, it pulses fuel. Would not start….

But when I put it on the trailer and try to start it, it spits water out of the exhaust and fires right up. I went back a few days later and put it in the water and it ran well (not great). After about 45 minutes I shut it off again and it won’t start. Put it back on the trailer and it fires right up. While running on the trailer if I cover the exhaust port with my hand it does not take much to kill the engine. When the ski won’t start and I pull the plugs they are dry and chocolate in color; visibly the spark is hard to see but have an inline light that indicates the coil is firing. I have tried two sets of plugs; both relatively new. Not sure if it is common but at times there will be smoke from the exhaust in the engine compartment

You Shud not have exaust smoke in the engine compartment unless it has a Loose clamp or bad gasket causing leak. You need to get it running good bcuz as u can see by my avitar they are a blast to ride. My kids fight over who gets to ride it. If you choke it when it wont start the plugs shud come out wet with fuel, if not you have fuel system problems

Thanks for the reply.... I am going to test the popped again with a better gauge. Even choked the plugs were not wet. I am thinking I should have changed the needle and seat.

Hopefully the exhaust leak is not major.

the needle and seat wud cause problems rite outa the gate but you can ride it 30 mins...... prolly still fuel related but it wudnt hurt to get compression readings from both cylinders

the needle and seat wud cause problems rite outa the gate but you can ride it 30 mins...... prolly still fuel related but it wudnt hurt to get compression readings from both cylinders

even though you just rebuilt it recheckthe compression when it dies out

Check the pulse line going to the carbs from the engine and make sure it is connected correctly. Check the selector valve for restrictions.(just replace it...only 35$)
The inline filter should be a high volume auto filter and not a lawn mower filter. If it is not, then that is your problem.

Check the pulse line going to the carbs from the engine and make sure it is connected correctly. Check the selector valve for restrictions.(just replace it...only 35$)
The inline filter should be a high volume auto filter and not a lawn mower filter. If it is not, then that is your problem.

I got the fuel filter from autozone for an automotive application...

I do have a new selector switch for my other ski I can try but I did inspect the one on there and it was not clogged and sealed as it should.

I did check the pulse line and it appears to be sealing fine. I will get some soapy water on it to make sure. I also pulled the fuel line and could see the fuel pump pulsing fuel.

I have a list of things to check..... Someone mentioned the water box may be my issue. Is there a way to test or diagnose the water box?

So this weekend I did some more troubleshooting. I have not tested compression when it dies in the water but out of the water it is 140+ psi.

I checked the pop off pressure of both carbs and it is within spec. I tried to pressurize the fuel tank to 5psi but my gauge is not accurate enough to get a reading so I used soapy water to look for leaks. Didn't see any.

I then checked the spark. While the spark plug would light I pulled the boots off the ignition line and fired it right off the block. The spark seemed to be weak and inconsistent. I pulled the flywheel cover but ran out of time to see if the pickup was corroded.

Could this cause my issue if the pickup is corroded and firing inconsistently? I assume the pickup is behind the fly wheel, is there a way to lock the flywheel with a pin so I can turn the nut with a wrench? I saw the recommendation in the service manual but the engine is still in the ski and I don't have the special tools.....

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
IT WORKS!!!!!

I wanted to thank everyone for the assistance on this forum. I finally got to run my ski for a full tank of gas.

long story short I saw air bubbles in the clear fuel filter so I knew air was getting introduced some where. Found the pickup lines on the tank to be twisted up and sucking air on occasion. I also fixed the week spark but cleaning the corroded ignition sensor behind the flywheel.

I am still having an issue of bogging and WOT if I back the throttle off a bit it runs great. I have adjusted the high speed from 0-1/4 with no change. The low speed is 1.25 out and seems fine off the line. I think the issue can be partly related to the extra oil I was running in the premix. I will try fresh gas and tune the carb again.

Once in the water for an hour it will be harder to start. I have to hold the starter for ~10 seconds and work the throttle. I think this is all related to the premix and carb adjustment. I will take it to the lake again next week with proper premix and tune the carb again.

I wondered if the 587 would pull a tube.... not sure if it will but I was able to pull a skier; I was shocked that the 587 could pull a skier. It was great or easy but worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back