1992 SeaDoo SP intermittent spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subiekev

Hey guys,

My seadoo is sparking intermittently. The plugs are new and when it does decide to spark, it's a nice powerful bright spark. I've checked the water proof wiring harness box to see if anything is loose or damaged and everything looks brand new in there. The first time I got it to spark was looking at the fuses inside that box and switching them out, then it sparked. The next day, no spark again. This has happened several times where it sparks and everything is fine, I'll start and stop it several times. Then a hour or two later when I'm about to go out, the starter just goes and goes without combustion.

I know the engine is good because when it starts up it runs really good and sounds very healthy. I took it out and it ran perfect for 45 min it was powerful and responsive. Then two days later when I took it out again it left me stranded in the harbor half way out to the ocean!
Any suggestions on how to isolate the problem?

Thanks, Kev

Try trimming the spark plug wires back a 1/4 in. The boot on the end threads off, cut and trim the ends then thread the boot back on. That usually helps with weak spark. Though it sounds like maybe your coil might be ready to kick it.

Try trimming the spark plug wires back a 1/4 in. The boot on the end threads off, cut and trim the ends then thread the boot back on. That usually helps with weak spark. Though it sounds like maybe your coil might be ready to kick it.

Awesome, ill give that a shot. The thing that's bizarre is when it does spark it's a bright spark.
I'm starting to have a feeling its the coil like you said.

Early in it's life I had to replace the ignition module inside the sealed box of the 1993 SPX in my avatar. It had similar symptoms...fire once every few tries on the starter but not start. I wish I could remember more but that was almost 20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back