1992 GTX model 5860 winterize

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanlibin

Hello,
I am new but I have done several searches and have read the shop manual and I'm left scratching my head.

ISSUE BACKGROUND:

I have 1992 GTX
I live in Canada with expected winter temps of -10F and pwc is stored outside.
I have reviewed videos and read manual with respect to flushing system with antifreeze but the diagrams in manual are poor and vague and content doesn't jive with what I'm seeing. The videos are for newer models.

QUESTION:

Does anyone here have any experience winterizing this model?
Does happen to be someone in Calgary who I can pay to stop by (or I can bring to you) who can show me which of the many lines I need to disconnect and run antifreeze through?

Attaching a few photos of what I am seeing in the engine compartment

Thanks for all who take time to support this forum. I hope to be able to pay it forward here someday.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
O.K., normally I would not send someone off this site, but I'm going to break the rule this one time. The reason being there are a lot of winterization threads on this forum, however most have become so lengthy a lot of information gets lost. So this is the best write up that I have seen.

http://www.seadoosource.com/winterize.html

There are a couple of points where I disagree:
1. I don't use regular antifreeze, I use RV antifreeze, however in your case, since the ski is stored outside and with the extreme low temps. you might want to use automobile antifreeze, make sure it's safe for aluminum (almost all is).

2. Instead of SeaDoo Lube, I use fogging oil, any good brand will do, I use Mercruiser brand.

3. Fuel stabilizer, use Marine Stabil.

BTW, Welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

Lou

Hey lou, which RV antifreeze ?

Is this the pink prestone stuff,? PrestRVAF.JPG OR http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/CoolingHeating/AntifreezeCoolants/PRD~0639926P/Prestone%AE+Plumbing%2BRV+Antifreeze.jsp?locale=en
It says that its for all potable water systems and great for recreational vehicles but says DO NOT USE IN: gasoline and diesel engines.
Does that just mean don't run the stuff as coolant or there is something else that might be detrimental to the engine?

Or like this ? 8354847.jpg
This one says for plastic lines only. I'm guessing it contains brine maybe (which would be corrosive to aluminum) ?

Which brand/type is best ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey lou, which RV antifreeze ?

Is this the pink prestone stuff,? View attachment 22435 OR http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/CoolingHeating/AntifreezeCoolants/PRD~0639926P/Prestone%AE+Plumbing%2BRV+Antifreeze.jsp?locale=en
It says that its for all potable water systems and great for recreational vehicles but says DO NOT USE IN: gasoline and diesel engines.
Does that just mean don't run the stuff as coolant or there is something else that might be detrimental to the engine?

Or like this ? View attachment 22436
This one says for plastic lines only. I'm guessing it contains brine maybe (which would be corrosive to aluminum) ?

Which brand/type is best ?

i used the peak brand rv anti freeze in my boat engine (omc cobra 350 chevy) for years and is good to -50F around $3.00 per gal and use it full strength. should be fine with pwc.

I use the generic marine/rv antifreeze, looks like the bottom pic, but it sais safe for aluminum blocks right on the bottle.

The best way on the old skis (I do this on my '91 GT) is remove the jet pump cooling inlet line, hook up a brass hose barb, run that line as a gravity feed (drill a hole in the cap slightly smaller than the hose) then start the ski, turn the jug upside down and squeeze antifreeze until you see it coming out of the exhaust. Fog through carbs until you see smoke out exhaust, stop squeezing fluid, then shut engine off.

When i work on customers skis, I use a drill pump, alot more professional looking and its easy to start and stop flow of antifreeze without juggling a gallon of antifreeze around in one hand and holding a fogging can in the other!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back