12v - Hi Error Message (Cause) and can any damage be done if I continue boating ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunMcD

The 12 V - Hi message appeared on my Dash … this has been a bit of bad year :(
(1) Does anyone know the cause of this error message?
(2) What I need to do?
(3) Any approximate cost to replace this (assuming it may be the Voltage Regulator ???)
- Or could the 12V Hi message be symptomatic of some other problem ???
(4)
Is this a User Serviceable part that can this be replaced by me (or is it best to have a Dealer/Mechanic install it)
- Do Bolts have to be "torqued" ??
I have seen Voltage Regulators [ Part # 7110001103 - SH775AA ] ranging from $50-$360 on Amazon.
- Not sure what I should expect to pay for the part
Other:
1) Until I get this fixed, can any damage be caused by continuing to drive my 2008 Sea Doo Speedster while it is displaying 12v-Hi?
2) If it is just a Part Replacement, is there a need to reset any code (or) does the Error Message disappear after the part is replaced?

The FORUM has been terrific is assisting me with helpful comments
It is great to have knowledgeable users that have experienced similar issues

Sounds like it may be the regulator, but have you done any testing yet? What's the output voltage? Have you connected the boat to Candoo reader?

Sounds like it may be the regulator, but have you done any testing yet? What's the output voltage? Have you connected the boat to Candoo reader?

- Thank you for your response
I am kinda new at this & the “technical” side is not my strength
Ie) I do not know wat a CANDOO READER?

It's software that allows you to read the computer and do all sorts of diagnostic checking. It's $400, so not cheap, but you may also be able to take it to a shop and have the same thing done for a lot cheaper if they have the tool.

Candoo Pro

I'd LOVE to have a Candoo Pro, but for now it's priced out of my need or desire for it! LOL! A simple voltage meter measuring the voltage at the battery with and without the engine running should be enough to tell you if there is a voltage problem. Remember, though, that you MUST have the water flush on the exhaust when running the engine out of the water. Otherwise, it will damage the exhaust. And remember that you should crank the engine FIRST and then turn on the water. And when you get ready to turn off the engine, remove the water flow FIRST and then shut down the engine. Otherwise you can force water into the engine itself and not just through the exhaust. Not a good day for ANYONE except the mechanic that will replace your engine. And don't run the engine for more than 3-5 minutes on the flush as the water hose may not provide enough water to keep everything adequately cool.

Without the engine running, you should read 12-12.5vdc or thereabouts, give or take a volt at the battery terminals. With the engine running at around 4K rpms, you should be seeing more like 13.5-14.2vdc. If you are still reading 12vdc, you are most likely not charging, and it could be the magneto, the regulator or simply a fuse. If you read MORE than 14.2VDC, and it varies up and down with the rpms of the engine, then you likely have a bad regulator and YES.....you can and will cause damage to electronics, including your ECM, with too much voltage. Replacing the regulator/rectifier is a pretty simple task....plug and play for the most part. Locating it may be a challenge, but on your particular model, I'm sure someone on here can point you in the right direction. On my Speedster 200, the regulator/rectifiers are located at the front of the engine bay (behind the rear seats) on top of the air boxes. And I would definitely recommend going with a direct SeaDoo replacement part and not an aftermarket one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back