08 RXT 215 - Need Advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

08-RXT215

I recently took my jet ski on vacation with the family and while transitioning from the bay to the channel that leads to the ramp, the ski sucked up so of the heavy plant life below. Looks a lot like grass just very longer.
I could feel the lack of power when opening the throttle but it continued to idle and move. Eventually it threw some codes and shut down. There was smoke inside the engine compartment when we pulled the seat off. Wr then noticed that the ski was taking on water. We pushed it against the shore to keep as much of the front out of the water as possible but the eventually the hull was filled up to the top of the motor. The motor was never fully submerged (breather valve on top was not under water). We got it towed back to the ramp and onto the trailer. I pulled the grass out of the intake and raised up the front of the trailer to get all of the remaining water drained out. We return tomorrow from vacation and I’ll drop it at the local shop Monday. My insurance will work with them to figure things out.
What are the chances that the motor is toast and it needs to be rebuilt? Is it better to rebuild or buy a remain?
What are the chances that insurance would cover the repairs based on what happened?

What does the oil look like? is it black and smells burnt? Could be it just got too hot trying to run with all the resistance. Does the motor turn over now? Insurance, GOOD LUCK!

I did check the oil. It doesn’t look bad to me. Looks fairly new but the light color may be signs of water in the oil correct? I did not try to turn it over at all yet. Based on the research I’ve done it sounds like trying to turn it over without knowing for sure if water got inside the motor is a no no.

Is the oil a light chocolate brown? Milky and not clear? If so I am willing to bet you blew a head gasket when it over heated. I have done a boil out procedure to get water out of 4tec engines before (it tells you how in the shop manuals). The 4 tec engine is a pretty durable engine. If it is a head gasket it will need to be replaced first before the boil out procedure. Rework the head while you have it off and check for bent valves. Do you know if water got in the cylinder head? You can take out the spark plugs and see if you can siphon water out of the cylinders.

Last edited:
Ok. Got it home and pulled some stuff apart. Got the spark plugs out and there was a little bit of water sitting in there so i soaked it out first before pulling the plugs. Once I got them out I connected the key and tapped the start button and water shot out of the plug holes. So definitely water on top of the pistons but can’t see any evidence of water in the oil. No cloudy residue on the cap or inside the tube. Oil looks clean on the dip stick.
So what do you think my next steps should be from here?

If you have water in the cylinders it is in the oil as well. I would take off the air intake and see if water is in there. Do you think the head gasket blew when it overheated? If so I would drain the antifreeze, take the head off and rework it, suck out all the oil in the block and replace the filter and fog the cylinders with a fogging oil. See if there is water in the supercharger by trying to suck it out ( if water is in the air intake it will be in the supercharger) Install the head with new bolts and head gasket. Refill oil, replace oil filter and antifreeze. Do a boil out procedure Check the manual for complete boil out procedure, Pg 9 - 11 in the shop manual. (SeaDoo Manuals - FREE PDF Download! ) to get your manual. It should be ok if you do this. I have done it to several skis in the past.

I dropped the ski off at the local shop this afternoon to have them go over it. I’ll let you know what they have to say and if I’m able to get insurance to cover any portion of the repairs. Thanks for your help and advice.

Just thought I’d give a quick update. Water was removed from the ski and some exhaust parts were found melted from the overheating. They are replacing those parts and then will run it in their test tank. If everything is ok they will flush out with multiple oil changes and I should be good to go. If nothing else pops up the total cost is about $1,200 and Progressive will cover everything over my $500 deductible.

I do have a question about supercharger rebuilding. I’m about 20 hours away from the 100 hour recommended period to rebuild. Is this something that can be DIY or should it be sent out to a shop for this work?

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I rebuilt my own, however I have 2 so it was cheaper for me to buy the tools and the kit and rebuild both. If you have only 1 it is cheaper to send it off and be rebuilt than to buy the tools and the kit to do it yourself. They are simple and easy to rebuild. I am the type that like to work on engines anyway so it was right up my alley! If you plan on keeping the ski for years and years then buy the tools and enjoy! But look for someone that uses a genuine seadoo rebuild kit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back