08 RXP 215 MAJOR issue. Help please!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mkprez2

I bought my 08 215 supercharged rxp in January this yr with 43hrs. It was a repo unit. At 56hrs I noticed a loss of power at top end. That was the only issue. The next day when I started it, I noticed the supercharger sounded more high pitched. I took off, then backed off the throttle, got back on it and the supercharger returned to its normal sound. However, I still had a loss of power at top end. I rode for another 30 minutes (hard like always) and when I got off the throttle for a no wake zone, the machine completely died on me and check engine flashed. I checked all fluids, intake, and even swapped batteries. Still could not get it to start. Took it to a seadoo dealer and as of right now my supercharger and flywheel need replaced. They are tearing down the motor further to find cause of problem. Has anyone had similar issues. What was the cause? I need help and suggestions please!!

Flywheel confuses me a bit,,,

The SC may have had the "bad design" ceramic washers. If so, the ceramic comes out and drops into the engine and causes damage.

The 09 SC uses metal washers and has an updated shaft. Both of these items fit into the 08 SC.

SCs need to be rebuilt every 100 hours and the ceramic washers in all cases need replaced no matter the hours.

I bought my 08 215 supercharged rxp in January this yr with 43hrs. It was a repo unit. At 56hrs I noticed a loss of power at top end. That was the only issue. The next day when I started it, I noticed the supercharger sounded more high pitched. I took off, then backed off the throttle, got back on it and the supercharger returned to its normal sound. However, I still had a loss of power at top end. I rode for another 30 minutes (hard like always) and when I got off the throttle for a no wake zone, the machine completely died on me and check engine flashed. I checked all fluids, intake, and even swapped batteries. Still could not get it to start. Took it to a seadoo dealer and as of right now my supercharger and flywheel need replaced. They are tearing down the motor further to find cause of problem. Has anyone had similar issues. What was the cause? I need help and suggestions please!!

Once the Your RXP is up and running again (dealer fixed not DIY), you should get hours and hours of riding. If this happens again; seadoo's speed is less than 60+ and more than 40 mph, you have blown the SC. Shut down ASAP, but ride slow and try not to tow. Read up on the owners manual that is available on line. Google seadoo manual 2008 Rxp. The breakdown was not your fault, but lack of maintenance by the previous owner. Please post any more questions you have and the forum will reply.

Good Luck.

Thanks for all of you who responded. I was worried about the care the previous had taken since it was a repo. I am hoping to know more on Monday and will update. The most I was getting when I noticed a speed reduction was 50mph when it should go 70mph no problem. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I know.

If it comes down to it.. Depending on how much you bought it for you maybe really putting alot more into the machine then it's worth.. You maybe better off parting it out and buying another ski

A little bit of an update.... the dealer found the SC gear to be bad, the rear flywheel gear to be bad, and believes the pistons are shot in the engine. I am waiting to hear if they were able to tear down the engine and what they found.

I want to know everyones thoughts. At this point my family who used to be seadoo enthusiasts, now yamaha enthusiasts, want me to sell it and by a yamaha. I personally like the way the seadoos ride and handle way over the yamaha. I absolutely love the performance i get from the rxp. Im debaiting if it would be worth putting 2-4k into mine to get it back up when i paid 5200 for it, or if i should sell it as is. Im worried that if i did repair it then what else could potentially go wrong being as the SC is high maintenance. i dont want it to be a money pit, but at the same time if i bought another used jetski, i could run into similar problems. I would not know how the previous owners took care of it. I cant affford new. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line, the ski was worth every penny and a bit more than you paid.

Generally, SCs don't fail, they just need rebuilt every 100 hrs. I'm guessing you had ceramic washers and they should have been replaced LONG ago regardless if the hrs.

If it were me, I'd do the repair. Why? You will know what you have and it will be in like new condition. I'd so the work myself simply because I could. But even if not it would still be worth it to me.

Once done, the value of the ski will be borderline in regards to the total you will spend. And likely just under what you spend.

I think it would be challenging to find a QUALITY replacement for 6 grand. As the repair will e 2/3 of this, I repair it.

Hey all,

FINALLY heard from the dealer. Flywheel bolts came lose at 56hrs resulting in alignment issues and chewing up my gears. So I need a new flywheel, supercharger and engine. The engine was all bound up and metal shavings throughout. There is nothing I could have done to prevent this and nothing I did caused this. Does anyone know if there is a way to get seadoo to cover this, or at least part of this? I shouldn't be responsible for a factory defect.

Hey all,

FINALLY heard from the dealer. Flywheel bolts came lose at 56hrs resulting in alignment issues and chewing up my gears. So I need a new flywheel, supercharger and engine. The engine was all bound up and metal shavings throughout. There is nothing I could have done to prevent this and nothing I did caused this. Does anyone know if there is a way to get seadoo to cover this, or at least part of this? I shouldn't be responsible for a factory defect.

Check into consumer laws in your state. Google " Georgia consumer laws" It is an 2008? So your out of warranty, yes?
Some state protect consumer from defects. Proving it, ????

It is an 08 and out of warranty. I will try that, but since I'm not the original owner I'm afraid I may have some difficulty proving that it was factory.

Find a wrecked ski being parted out and take the engine just rebuild the supercharger ;)

Well, I got my repair estimate from seadoo. $7800!!!! I really think they are screwing me. I'm debating if I should part it out, sell it as is, or buy a used machine to get mine running and try to get my money out of it.

That seems about $2500 high from what my local dealer charges for a complete engine/supercharger swap. That being a brand new factory engine and sc.

That hurts so bad for the repair cost and not many people can afford it, if I were you, I'd use that 7800 to buy a Seadoo boat, the boat has more fun and comfort than the sk to me, I don't need a 70 mph ski, they were too fast for me and dangerous if they flip over, I have a couple of radio control gas powered model boats, they went 75 mph all day long for the race and I could feel that speed action is so amazing.

Well, I got my repair estimate from seadoo. $7800!!!! I really think they are screwing me. I'm debating if I should part it out, sell it as is, or buy a used machine to get mine running and try to get my money out of it.

Could you do it yourself? Or find other repair shop? Independent or other Seadoo dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back