08 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

markj602

Hey everybody I just bought an 08 challenger se a couple weeks ago. I'm still in the break-in and haven't seen how fast it goes just yet. Anybody have any ideas? It has the 215 rotax motor which seems like a ton of power for this size boat, but I've heard the jet drives aren't quite as efficient at transfering the power to the water. So far I've had it up to 30mph at a little over half throttle, but the dealer told me not to go much further until after the initial 10 hours.

Pay close attention!....

Yes, pay close attention to that breakin procedure. Those 4-TEC engines are state of the art and you want to follow all the guidelines to make them have a healthy life. Then, when you get to stand on the throttle, I'll let you be the judge of how "weak" or in-efficient the jet pump engines are!....:rofl:
I promise, you'll be backing off that throttle pretty guick till you get the feel of it.....
KustomKarl and a couple others just bought new boats this year, so let them give you some good, first hand knowledge.
P.S.......in the jet boat, your gonna do things that a propeller boat could only wish it could do, especially when your in a race, go airborne 8 to 10 ft. up off a wake and land still in the lead........yeah, I think your gonna fall in love all over again!............:cheers:

Is there anything specific I should be doing during the break-in? I dealer just told me to keep the throttle down and go easy on it. I read in the owners manual varying the speed contributes to a good break-in but thats about it.

I know what you mean about jets vs propellers though. The steering is insane on this thing. It's like a jetski for 8!:hurray:

Oh yeah....

Oh yeah, you are sitting on one "huge" and powerful jet ski. I haven't read your "users manual" and I thought KustomKarl would have been in by now. He has the new 4-TEC Speedster, so him or Cali, and a couple more, have the new boats similar to yours, I would really have to go in and read the users manual to be completly sure. But from your description, your doing all your suppose to. Karl said it's really important to vary the throttle a lot. After he got a few hours on it, he said he'd "goose" the throttle up, really quick, then drop it really fast too.........but, I'm sure he'll be in. I hope tonight, he's had a load of fun in his new speedster. He's just a few hours over his breakin period. You can go look at his boat by reading other threads or if you see his name, click on it........it's a nice boat. I've been jealous since he bought it!.......he's also got my boat, the 1997 Challenger, with the 787cc..........

Hey markj602 welcome to the seadoo forum. Yea, I love my 200speedster. I just got it broke in with like 14 hrs on it. The best thing to do is to remember to let it warm up before you go blasting. I have a 20 minute ride out of my channel in a no wake zone, but I keep the rpm's up and down to keep from one throttle position. I have had mine cruising around 50+ with 4 adults on board. Not by GPS, but by the spedo on board so it isn't real accurate. The best way to break it in is to keep under 3/4 throttle and never full throttle till you hit the 10 hour mark. I varied my throttle position up to 3/4 and never hold it at any position for more than a couple minutes. Remember to be gentle at first than increase the throttle position at a varied rate as the boat gets broke in. Let me know if you need any more advice and if some one tells you it isn't quick...I tell ya about the Chevy 454 big block's butt I kicked.

Karl

Thanks for the info. I had it out again today and just broke 4 hours pulling back into the ramp. Do you guys go out on salt water? I just put the flush kit on mine which makes it so much easier. All you are supposed to do is start the motor, open the water and let it run 3000-4000rpm for a few seconds right? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but again this is my first jet drive. ;)

"No" dumb questions!...

Sorry, there are no dumb questions here. If it's a question worth asking, then it's a question worth answering. Now I forgot your question..... :rofl:
Yeah, you start the motor first, then turn on the water. The reason behind that, is to make sure your water pressure isn't to great to overcome the gaskets on the combustion side......putting water in it. When the engine is running, you'll have enough pressure, that if you have a leaky gasket, it'll leak gases into the cooling water (which won't hurt the motor) rather than water into the piston area (which will hurt the motor)..........:cheers:

I own a 2007 Seadoo Wake 230 with the twin 215's, and on my GPS the best was a 52 MPH top end speed. Not bad for a boat of this size. But also remember that not too many other boats can jump out of the whole like these boats can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back