07 challenger 180 Steering cable replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Sofla

Hello brain trust...

Having a difficult time replacing the steering cable on my 07 challenger 180.
The access to the 22mm nut that releases the cable from the stern end is impossible. Requires either dropping the ride plate to get to it... or finding a 10" deep socket to slideover the cable end to get to the nut at the hull.
Some advise please.... where to find the tool to do it the easy way or how to remoce the rideplate as its bolted and epoxied in.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up making a deep socket myself. Using an old size appropriate aluminum deck bush pole. Cutoff 18" .enough to get a grip on the end once the far end is seated, to break it loose and unscrew it

I took the 22mm nut off my replacement steering cable to use as an identical match to what i need to grab. Evenly i hammered the pole down around the just slightly same/smaller nut. The result if done carefully is an 18" 22mm thin walled socket that slides right over the cable end down to the mounting nut.

It bears mention that the break loose of the nut was done with an open end 23mm wrench. Painstakeingly a few mm one way, rorate the wrech .. a few more mm... somewhere after those first few degrees and having it finger loose to remove is where this new tool really made it easier

2o

Back