04 Speedster Q’s… Tac, Speedometer, and surfing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOWBRAH

I have utilized the search and haven’t found my answers. I am going to look at an 04’ Speedster 310 with a wake tower, ballast, and nice stereo. It has ~ 300hrs, and a fair amount of sun damage. Oxidation in the gel coat and the interior has “hardened”, cracking the seats. The right tachometer and speedo has quit working also. However, the guy seems to be straightforward, he has nice stuff, and I believe that he has maintained the boat fairly well since 09. SO…

1.) What possibly causes the speedo to stop working
2.) What possilby causes the Tac to stop working
3.) What possibly causes the interior to crack? (I keed, I keed)

4.) What do I need to look for while test driving?
5.) How can you tell the “wear rings” need replaced?
6.) Any other “pointers”?

Oh, is it possible for a 170lb guy to surf behind this platform?

I have utilized the search and haven’t found my answers. I am going to look at an 04’ Speedster 310 with a wake tower, ballast, and nice stereo. It has ~ 300hrs, and a fair amount of sun damage. Oxidation in the gel coat and the interior has “hardened”, cracking the seats. The right tachometer and speedo has quit working also. However, the guy seems to be straightforward, he has nice stuff, and I believe that he has maintained the boat fairly well since 09. SO…

1.) What possibly causes the speedo to stop working
2.) What possilby causes the Tac to stop working
3.) What possibly causes the interior to crack? (I keed, I keed)

4.) What do I need to look for while test driving?
5.) How can you tell the “wear rings” need replaced?
6.) Any other “pointers”?

Oh, is it possible for a 170lb guy to surf behind this platform?

Partial answers:
1&2 - Moisture has entered the gauges and corroded the movement (assuming electromechanical gauges)
4) Hole shot and top speed, compression test, engine oil condition (is it black?).
5) Wear ring should hug the impeller by no less then thickness of a dime, or credit card
6) I just ran out of steam, good luck!

I've tried unsuccessfully to surf behind a boat before, are you saying it's possible?

I believe a big big like that loaded right would put out a pretty good wake to surf behind.
And yes sportster it's called wake surfing. People usually do it with malibus and natiques, but if the wake isn't big enough just use a shortened ski rope.

Wear ring....

If the engines get high revs but it is like you are spinning your tires and not getting great performance then the wear ring is worn.

You can look thru the nozzle with a flashlight and check the wear ring, also crawl under and look thru the grate. Take it for a test drive, 30 mins or more I didn't when I got mine and I wish I would have. You can use a product by 3M Rubbing Compound to take off the sun faded gel coat and finish it with 3M Finesse II and then wax. It doenst give it a showroom shine but it brings the gloss back somewhat. Tac and speedo can be wet gauges as noted above, blow fuses, missing paddle on the sped sensor outside the hull. What is he asking for it?

I believe a big big like that loaded right would put out a pretty good wake to surf behind.
And yes sportster it's called wake surfing. People usually do it with malibus and natiques, but if the wake isn't big enough just use a shortened ski rope.

Okay, the boat I tried it behind wasn't a very heavy boat and I had to stay at least 6 feet from the transom on a rope, so I didn't like it.

Thank you so much for the replies. He is actually a member on here. IUKMAN (I think that's how you spell it, I'm on my cell, can't look it up). He has several post on installing two batteries, stereo, and losing a seat while in tow. He is asking 10k and seems flexible.

10k seems fair for the condition, try to add up items that you will need to make it 100% working and see if he will adjust accordingly.

I got mine for 11k and it needed a little less work BUT now I am finding other issues like bad sensors and carbon seal leaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
10k seems fair for the condition, try to add up items that you will need to make it 100% working and see if he will adjust accordingly.

I got mine for 11k and it needed a little less work BUT now I am finding other issues like bad sensors and carbon seal leaking.

How big of a deal is the carbon seal? What is it exactly?

carbon seal is what keeps the water out of the hull where the driveshaft passes thru the hull. IF you look towards the back of the engine and find the driveshaft, follow it back till you see a black ribbed hose, the carbon seal is attached to it. They wear out and in my case one is leaking water at running speeds. Its not too hard to replace and your looking at $99 or so for parts. Don't forget you got 2 engines so that's $200. It adds up, just be sure you look for any issues and factor that into the buying price as much as you can.

A bit of a tangent here, but I am considering a bigger, cruiser-type boat for Florida, and keeping my 2008 speedster 200 at my NY place. Looking on a Rinker forum, I saw that they were raving about "Island Girl" products for restoring gelcoat, specifically with colored hulls. I think the link is: http://www.islandgirlproducts.com/productlist.html I have no connection with them, nor personal experience (my hull looks great, stored inside) but the Rinker owners seem happy with the stuff.

BTW, some other site (Four Winns, I think) had a video of a guy surfing behind a 34 foot +/- cruiser, but then again, that is a $100,000-$150,000 wake you are looking to create...

I think if youre' going to buff out the gel coat it can be more work than it seems, and a cutting paste might break the oxidized layer if you're lucky.

The other option is to use a 2 part paint like AwlGrip, this product reportedly stands up to abuse and exposure pretty well. There may be others that work as well.

I guess with that Four Winns, you could surf all the way to Bermuda, LOL!

I think if youre' going to buff out the gel coat it can be more work than it seems, and a cutting paste might break the oxidized layer if you're lucky.

The other option is to use a 2 part paint like AwlGrip, this product reportedly stands up to abuse and exposure pretty well. There may be others that work as well.

I guess with that Four Winns, you could surf all the way to Bermuda, LOL!

Is 300hrs average for one of these boats?

What's the most you all have seen on these motors??

Ive seen a lot of pics of the boat you are buying. It seems like a good deal. I was considering buying it back in the beginning of the year, but he had it priced a bit higher then and i really wanted a red one.

As far as the issues...the gauges not working is very common. Tachs are prolly broken. Neither of my tachs work. You can ship them to the company that make em and they will rebuild them for like 30-50 each with a warranty. I plan on doing it over the winter. The speedo could be lots of things....who really needs it anyway though?

The gel can be buffed out. Look at my thread. My boat was BAKED in the TX sun uncovered year round. It was totally oxidized and looked pretty rough. About 20 hours later, it looks almost new again.

300 hours is totally reasonable. These motors are very reliable. They are the same motor that is in a lot of the rental skis. There are a lot of differences of opinion, but you hear of guys getting 500+ hours of them all the time. The rental places put over a thousand to 2 thousand on them. They also can have things happen that are catastrophic...its like anything else, you win some....you lose some. You just gotta try to take care of it and be on the winning end.

Thanks for the reply. He and I didn't come to terms on a price. Wes is a super nice guy! I wound up picking up an 05 challenger 180 with very low hours (39) and he threw in a hyperlite board, huge, tube, and four vest for about the same price. I'll put pictures up as soon as I get to my room... The definition of torture is getting a new boat then flying out for work on the follow sun shiny day!!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back