04 gtx supercharged Bad Oil leak :(

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew_lbreman

I have recently bought myself 2 04 gtx. I took them on the water in a small area to test them and realized that I am loosing alot of oil from one of them. It runs great and is very smooth so I dont think that I have a blown ring or anything. the oil is in the bottom of the hull. I took it out of the water, started it, hooked it to the hose, (filled it with oil before starting it) I have no oil coming out the exhaust or the impeller. I think that the prior owner while winterizing them may not have replaced the oil drain plug properly but I have not yet found that. I am going to buy a shop manual as I will be rebuilding both of the superchargers asap anyway. Unless someone has a link to a free pdf, if so that would be great. Is it possible that my pump or a soft line has cracked, and if so how is the best way to test it. Also no oil in coolant. another thing, As it does run great, I dont think that the supercharger is blown but I dont know. I didnt max the ski out or anything but it was very peppy and had no problems. In fact, the other ski appeared to be slower than it. But again I didnt max them out, I was just getting an idea for what may be wrong and what I may need to fix. Any Ideas for where to check the leak would be really appreciated. Is there a oil pan that could have a blown gasket?

Thanks for the Help

Andy:(

Also, can i just buy the new metal washers and rebuild the superchargers or do I need to get the whole kit. I would like to save the money but I want to do it right and not have any problems in the future sooooo. Please help me SeaDoo Gods I need your guidance.

Im pretty sure there isnt a oil drain bung that you've been looking for. As for the oil leak check the witness hole by the water pump as I beleive that if shows for signs of water or oil leaking if either seal inside of it is buggered.

I got professional help today and they thought it was the orings around the oil cooler so we changed them and put it all back together. Hopefully that does it. anyway thanks for the help.

no drain plugs, oil is removed from dipstick only.

oil leaks are pretty simple to find, just clean everything very well and then run it and feel around. the oil cooler o-rings are usually very reliable and don't leak. the most common oil leak is the oil filter cover due to poor reassembly after an oil change. the sc, the rear pto housing and the front oil pump also fairly common.

it takes 2 minutes to check your sc if they are free spinning, just take the hose off the end and try to turn the impeller with your hand.

I cleaned everything and run it on land and no oil is leaking out. the sea doo guy looked around with a mirror underneath and found some bulging on the oil cooler and thought he felt it leaking out in that area just after running. I wasnt sure but I did see a area around the oil cooler that looked like oil was passing the oring. I ordered a used good oil cooler either way and we replaced the orings and put the old one back on. I am going to look at the top of the oil filter tomorrow because I was not the one to open it last and you may have a very good point about the seal at the top. It seemed that at idle it didnt loose any oil but as I speed up and the ski is not level at higher rpm it is then throwing the oil light on after a few minutes and has no oil left. Can i change the pto and oil pump gaskets with the motor in place or do I need to take it out. I personally dont think it was the oil cooler, I think it is much more likely a dumb problem such as the seal for the oil filter or something. I will pull the sc in the morning and check those gaskets too. Ski doo please keep up with this posting because it seems that you may know what you are doing and I may need the help and I will definitely repost my results.

I checked both and the ski with the oil leak has a good charger but the other one turns with a little effort. I have a super charger that I got today and it is good. it has a breaking pressure in the 10lb range sooo I think I am just going to swap them out tomorrow and rebuild the stock one when the parts arrive. It doesnt hurt to have a spare hanging around. The only thing I dont know about is that it is a 17 tooth sprocket and I dont know yet what the ski has. Any more advice is appreciated. Thanks all

Andy

185 HP has 17 teeth, the 215 has 16 teeth, the 255/260 HP also has 16 teeth but this is the "x" sc which is different but the one to have, true bolt on hp.

many oil leaks won't be noticeable until higher rpms. just rev it up while on the hose for no more than 2-3 minutes at a time.

yes, the pto cover oil seal can be fixed with the engine still in, you have to block the engine and remove the left motor mount and a couple bolts are difficult to reach but overall not too bad. although, pulling the motor is actually quite simple.

JFizzleJR can probably help you more, he's on the high performance side of the 4tecs so he knows the weak spots. Oil leaks on stock motors are really not very common except for morons who don't know how to do an oil change. I deal mostly with fixing stock ones.

I appreciate the help on the forum but I am going to be posting on pwc forum because there are alot more people and more help. So thank you all but I have alot of questions and seem to just run into more problems as I go.

Andy

i will continue to post on both and maybe ill find a genius out the that can help.

Ok First let me start by saying thank you to whoever can help me. On Monday I bought 2 2004 gtx 4tec supercharged skis. I put them in the water to water test and they were fine. They had been setting for a long while and seemed good. I will call them ski 1 and ski 2.

Ski 1 has 125 hours on it and it was unknown as to if the charger had been rebuilt, so after riding it on the intercoastal waterway and only getting around 45 mph out of it I decided that the charger must need to be rebuilt. I found a charger from a buddy that had only around 25 hrs on it so I took out the old one and installed the new one today. Now the old one was free spinning . I then started to immediately look for the clutch washers and low and behold one of them is missing. I got the new charger installed correctly and it starts and runs fine. I checked the oil filter and found very tiny shards of aluminum (charger fan I think), I say aluminum because it doesnt stick to my magnet. The motor seems fine but I dont know if I should be running it or not in its current condition. My questions would be what is the appropriate action to take. My wife and I were supposed to go riding tomorrow and I still really want to. Moving on.

Ski 2 runs like a dream. It was obviously more powerful than 1 when I took them for a test ride (ride was approximately 1 hour on both skis). As I was going back to the dock, the oil light came on. It had oil when I went out. I limped back on the trailer and found that the oil was in the bottom of the hull. I have no water in my oil or oil in my coolant. I have been able to definitively say that the pump housing on the front case of the motor , the oil cooler, top of the oil filter, supercharger and starter are not the cause of the leak. I fill the oil and it is fine until I run the ski and then it is blasting it out in the bottom somewhere. I must have had 5-10 qts in there today trying to find the leak. It is not coming out the exhaust, nor the outboard drive area. I have been looking trying to find the witness hole and cant find the location of it so if anyone can help please do. I am a good mechanic for motorcycles but I have not worked on any 4 stroke skis before.

I bought two riva rebuild kits for the chargers and am going to do that on friday and saturday. provided I get the rest of this sorted out. Thanks again for the help

Andy

AL - Welcome to the forum.

That's tough luck about both skis....maybe the P Owner knew something he didn't tell you.

Glad you are staying with SDforum, the experts here basically work mostly on SD and know their stuff. Just be a little patient and someone will come through for you here.

Good luck

Yeah Ill hang out here if i can get some help and I dont mind helping out too I just am in a spot where I am focused on my big problems. Yeah I know but if you knew me, you would realize that I dont have any luck. I am a good mechanic because this is how my entire life has been. Thanks for the reply anyway. I am going to pull to pto on the leaking ski tomorrow I think. I have the gasket kit on its way and hopefull it will solve my problems. Otherwise I might just pull the entire motor and look at everything. I was thinking that maybe its that oil pressure relief valve somehow opening up on the bottom, but that makes no sense sooo.

Andy

check the rear oil switch, rear right side. also check the dipstick tube.

just for reference, on the underside of the motor, there are 2 drain plugs, one front, one rear but I've never seen one leak. there also are 8 aluminum access covers to get to the main bolts, but again, never seen one leak.

oil pressure regulator is also on the bottom of the pto housing, it will open at 58psi. Have you checked your oil pressure? again, never seen one faulty or leak but certainly could happen.

you'll find it, just pack clean white towels under the motor if you think that's where it's coming from.

I wouldn't take it out and ride it, a heavy oil leak will greatly reduce your oil pressure and that motor should have 55psi at 7500 rpms. so don't think you can just keep putting oil in and you'll be fine.

Thank you for the reference. I have the manual but it is hundreds of pages and hard to find the right places in it. I will check all of that tomorrow. I haven't done a oil pressure test. I will do that in the morning. I am thinking we will ride tandom on ski 1 tomorrow unless I find the leak and fix it in the morning. I will definately do the white towel thing because that sounds good. I pulled the intake and oil cooler and all the other day and non of that was leaking. I didnt see any oil in the area of the dipstick either. I ordered a set of gaskets and if I dont find the leak with the towel trick I am going to pull the motor to get a better look. I have a friend that has done 20 plus and is locally reccomended for seadoos.

Is there any way to get to those plugs without pulling the motor, also the pressure regulator. I am starting to think that it is dumping pressure for some reason. I am going to figure it out soon. Thanks for the help.

I dont know much about the setup witht the oil cooler, but are there any rubber oil lines low down in the ski that may have a pin hole or something and only push the oil out at high pressure (which is related to higher rpm of course).

Just chucking ideas out there.

I had the same idea but as far as I can tell they dont have many exterior oil lines and I think I have checked everything on top and sides. I am going to start pulling the motor tomorrow. I will update where it is coming from after I get it out. I probably wont have it out until saturday or so. Thanks for the help in places to look, I am sure once i get it out I will have some specialized questions so please check back.

I had this problem too with my RXP. It turned out the rear seal on the engine that the shaft comes out was bad letting oil pass out under pressure. It was found with a mirror while running at higher rpms.

Slug O you hit it on the head. I started puling the motor and had filled it with very thin oil hoping to find the leak, as I got around the drive shaft I had a steady drip coming out of that seal. Did you pull the whole motor? I am completely unbolted but I dont know how easy it will be to get around the drive shaft without pulling it. Anyway I am now waiting on parts so I will keep going and see what else I can do. I may still pull the motor so I can really clean all that old oil up. I think it will just be problematic in the future if I have all oily stuff in the hull. Anyway Ill post again when I get it out if I need help to change the seal. I am hoping it just pops out and the new one pops in.

No.. The motor was not pulled. We removed the pump and the drive shaft. This allowed the removal of the seal.

if you leave the motor mounts attached to the hull you dont
have to re align the motor
if you take them off the hull there is a tool fore re alignment

I pulled the motor and connected everything as it should be and found that there was a leak at both the shaft oil seal and around the metal shaft that is on the pto coming out the pto cover. I pulled the pto cover and found that the shaft coming out the pto has a screw style pattern and doesnt have any orings as I thought. I am trying to figure out what is damaged here because I dont think that it is just the oil seal. I ordered a new gasket kit for the pto and am planning on changing out all of the seals that are in the kit. My new question is, is there anyway to seal that metal shaft that the drive shaft seats in. I can try to explain it better if you all dont know which one I am talking aobut but I dont know what it is actually called. I should have the new seals in the next few days so please let me know what you think about the leak site. I need to make sure it is sealed up so I dont have to do this again.

Thanks
Andy

There is a round seal in the end of the metal shaft (PTO). Then there is the boot and bearing assy that is clamped to the rear engine cover where the driveshaft goes in. That's it. Make sure the boot doesn't have any holes in it. There are 2 o rings inside the bearing that seal against the driveshaft.....make sure they're not torn. It is possible for the bearing itself to leak. It has a internal seal that is not replaceble. :cheers:

Thanks for all the help to everyone. After taking that bearing out of the bellow, I found that there is alot of play in it. I am going to replace it as well. When I got the motor out I found remnants of what used to be pieces of an old drive shaft. I think they must have had work done, got it back from the shop, reallized it was leaking and decided to sell. As far as I can tell the bearing is the old one and appears damaged. Again thanks for the advice and direction, all of it is very appreciated

Dennis that is it. I Pulled that bearing apart and found this inside. The seal is obviously blown out. I dont know if you can tell from this photo but it is bad. I am looking for a new seal so I can have a backup but it is hard without the exact measurements. Anyway the new stuff will be here tomorrow and I should be on the water tomorrow afternoon. Again thanks to everyone for all of your help. This was a difficult track for me and I really enjoyed the help.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back