03 Utopia 210hp Carb'd merc not starting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtrem3

I was using my boat for the fist time this spring and everything was going to fine cruising for about an hour. I stopped at a dock to get lunch about 30 mins came back the boat wouldn't start. It would not turnover, sometimes it cranks for a few seconds other times much longer. Checked the plugs i have spark and they seem to be getting fuel.

I did notice that fuel was dripping form the bottom of the carburetor. Anyone know what this problem could be and how to get back out on the water.

Maybe your getting too much fuel? Flooding the engine? Try holding the butterflies open (WOT) with the boat in NEUTRAL (as required to crank/start) and have someone crank it over while you hold the throttle wide-open...if it fires and runs...drive it at higher speeds for a while to get the plugs good and hot...maybe the plugs have gotten fouled? A lot of speculation here, but worth a try...

The fuel dripping could be from the automatic enrichment valve. This is a mechanism that takes some fuel from the top carb float and distributes it to all 3 carbs for cold starts. This is a gravel fed mechanism. You will find these engines can be a bit hard to start if the engine has cooled down just enough to activate this mechanism, but it's still kind of warm! As my mechanic puts it... you need need to learn how to start your engine in every condition! The trick for a warm start is just as Murph-13 is suggesting, you need to open the carb flaps to start your engine when it's just warm. An easy way to do this is to use the "Steering Throttle mechanism". So by cranking the steering wheel all the way (in either direction), it will open your carb flaps just enough that it should allow your engine to start.

If you have not herad of this feature, it is designed to "blip" your throttle when you are idling around the dock to help a jet drive system "steer" a bit better at slow speeds. Kind of ingenious actually! You can verify that this is working (once you get your engine running) by checking that your engine actually revs up a bit from idle, when you crank the steering wheel all the way, one direction or the other (revs should go up from about 1100 to 2500rpms).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back