02 Utopia 185 hull cracks

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rilic

I just bought an 2002 Utopia 185 240hp almost sight unseen because of price. I have found a major structural flaw with this craft and want to see if anyone else has the same damage.
On the port and starboard inner strakes just under the fuel tank there are 18 inch cracks that run the length of the fuel tank on outboard sides of strakes. Bulkheads for and aft are boxed in by port and starboard stringers to support tank but appears skin has signifigant flex from stringers to strakes creating stress cracks. Of coarse previous owner had no idea of problem but commented he never ran boat less than half tank. My first at water was great untill I checked for water.....wwwwhoooaaa....alot to say the least. The gel coat is intact except for what appeared to be gel coat crazeing.
Anyone ever see this? I'm having the composite shop take a look for estimate on repair. Will update and add pic's asap.

Attachments

• Utopia.jpg
    Utopia.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
wow

wow,
that is a hell of a crack there. I am sure the previous owner knew about, why is always people taking advantage of people? Good luck, hope you can get it repaired at a reasonable cost. rick

Wow that looks like a major leak. Good luck getting it fixed and trying to get it back from the previous owner. It is obvious that is not a new crack.

YIKES!! looks like they hit a wake too hard and did some structural damage. Hopefully it can be fixed!

I have to ask- How much did you pay?

evercoat makes a gelcoat repair kit, all kinds of colors come with it too. its easy to do and looks good when you are done.

Update

Got a reputable shop estimate of $1800 to fix and strengthen. There best guess it was caused by improper bunk set up of trailer (there fixing that to) or just plain thin poor build of glass by Sea-Doo. I bought the boat for $6500 and the engine seems to be in good condition, the tell tale needs replacement therefor impeller and wear ring as well when I can get to it...Gezz those three things add up to over $1500 and from what I understand a bit more of a job due to loctite and corrosion. Will tackle it in the fall.......The engine seems to split second "boog" down at a 4000 rpm cruise, only could hear and feel it no indication on tach, not consistent and all but went away after 10 minutes. I'm gonna attribute it to 6 month old gas at this point. The previous owner just replaced the upper and lower "voltage regulators" but it sure seems like an all cylinder ignition problem if not fuel. Any ideas? Also is it normal for these engines to smoke like a trailer park on fire on initial start up for about 2 minutes or so?

Any chance of getting the previous owner to pay part of it? I would think that boat would sell around 8,000 to 9,000. So even after repairs you are around that price. So you didnt do quite so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back