02' SeaDoo Islandia - Noob owners getting up to speed...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpb1977

Hello all, I've been reading posts for a few weeks now and it's clear that there is a ton of information on these forums. As the topic title states, we are completely noobs to boating!

So with regard to the '02 Islandia (Mercury EFI V6), our first issue popped up. Out for a joyride last night, initial 20 minutes probably 80% throttle. Took a swim breather before heading back in, this time at about 90-95% throttle. A few minutes in, we got the constant alarm for about 8-10 seconds. Backed off the throttle just slightly, and it went away. Up at around 6,000 rpm at the time, 45 mph.

From what I've read, it was probably a temperature warning. (No oil light warning, or beeps, just the constant alarm.) It did not come back in the remaining 10 minutes of cruising back in to the marina.

What are our next steps? Obviously, if it comes back we know it isn't an isolated incident. I've read that sometimes they can be faulty, but I think I would feel that way if it went off at 50% throttle, not close to wide open as we were.

Is there a post about first steps one should take once they've acquired a new boat? It was purchased from the dealer where it had all its service done. Not afraid to be hands-on, so if you have some direction and helpful tips, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

jpb

I would suggest you are right and you have a blockage somewhere in the cooling path. most likely this is in the water pickup in the jet drive/pump. I haven't had this issue on this engine. but check for weeds in your drive. if I remember correctly the flush port (I don't know where it is on your boat) under the hatch will let you run water from the garden hose and flushes backwards. this should help get you cleared out. a lot of blockages are more stubborn. give this a try and see if it works. report back either way. and we can assist with more advise if it doesn't help

as a new boat owner, you should get the shop manuals. they will tell you how to deal with a lot of this stuff. there are 2 for your boat. the seadoo side and the mercury side.

Hey Lumps, thanks for the reply! It ended up in my junk so I didn't see if for a few days. I will report back!

Another check-- the overboard pee hole. If that is clogged, it can cost you a piston and subsequent rebuild. Bugs like to explore and pack it with leaves for their nest. Remove hose from cylinder head and blow it out with compressed air. You might even need to run a rod thru the hose from both ends.

I always store the boat with duct tape over the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back