02 Sea-Doo RX Runs Rough

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RXz71

Ok, last weekend I was out cruising on the lake. I wasn't doing anything stupid. Just cruising at 35 mph when out of no where my ski just bogged down and wouldn't go above 10 mph at full throttle. I drove it to shore and got it towed back. Its here in my garage and when you start it, there is smoke coming from the front of the engine area under the seat. Replaced ignition coil, cleaned carbs, checked fuses. We put a timing light on the wires and both seem to be fine. both cylinders are hot after running it for a few seconds. Its kinda frustrating. The ski is a well kept ski with 125 hrs. On the trailer it idles at about 1000-1250. it revs on the trailer. When its in the water it takes a while to rev up. I dunno. Any suggestions or any way to test for faults would be greatly appreciated. I'm heading to the lake this weekend with or without it. Lol

sorry didn't read the rest of your post. Both clyinders were at 125 each. The plugs looked fine. And i replaced them with the right ones about a week before this happened.

carb filters? grey fuel lines? RAVES clean? Water regulator working? RAVE solenoid and 1 way air valve working?

Plug wires cut back?

Reed Valve condition?

the 951 should idle at 3,000 RPM on land and 1,500 RPM in the water.

Bad fuel?

Fuel Filter? (small white setup under hood usually) screws off

Mine would bog if i'd punch the throttle from idle, turned out to be a pinhole leak in the fuel line coming off the accelerator pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Filters are aftermarket and brand new. Fuel lines just replaced. Raves are clean, Dunno about the water regulator or the rave solenoid and 1 way air valve, Plug wires are fine. its getting spark to the plugs. Reed vavles - i have no idea because i am a noob at this crap. It used to idle at 2500 or so on the trailer, the fuel is fine it was new as well, the fuel filter is new. Lol. I just dont know

what are the carbs set to? the 951 should be 1.5 turns out from closed for low speed, and CLOSED on the highs.

Adjusted 1/4 turn max from that.

sounds to me like fuel / carb issue if the compression is good.

Dr. Honda might be able to provide more details.

Its smoking in the engine carpartment Thats why its boggin down no oxygen. So it sounds like you have some type of exhaust leak

I don't know why it would all of the sudden bog down at 30mph. I think it is a fuel issue as well but it's a pain in the rear. Lol. I don't see any type of exhaust leak, however i will check it again and let you guys know.

the most likely leak spot is where the pipe joins, unless the pipe has never been removed, then I'd guess between the exhaust manifold and pipe.

in any case, there are only 3-4 spots where it can leak, it will leak more exhaust under load, so you may have to go for a ride with the seat on to start, then remove it while ridding or at least pop it off and look in there.

No Exhaust leak. Called a sea-doo dealer 60 miles away and they said that it is a fuel problem. We are taking it to a private lake today and doing some testing because we dont want to overheat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back