01 gtx Rfi died. Starts then dies.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottramsey32

Good morning,
I have searched but hadn’t found exactly the same symptoms in other posts.

I have two 01 gtx rfis. We went out Friday and one of my skis started running rough and sputtering at higher rpm. We pulled it back in. The next morning I pulled the fuel tank and cleaned it out and put new fuel in it as well as a new set of plugs. Both skis seem to go through plugs often. we took them out again. Started good, ran good about ten minutes later as we approached the no wake zone I let off the throttle and as it came back to idle it just died. Would not restart. Got it to the dock and let it sit for a few hours. Tried to start it and it started. Have to pump the throttle while cranking. Don’t know why this works with a fuel injected model but it does. Let it run for a few and it will die again and not restart. Suspect fuel related but could use some input. Thank you!

-Scott

Last edited:
One more question I have about them. When you cycle through the menu it has a lake temp and a engine temp. Engine temp is usually high even before you start due to the ambient temp. As you’re riding them the engine temp will match the lake temp +/- 1* I assume this is normal. Just seems cold for an engine to run at 75*f

That second temperature is the air temp not the engine temp. These don't have an engine temp gauge, just an over heat alarm.

That second temperature is the air temp not the engine temp. These don't have an engine temp gauge, just an over heat alarm.
Thank you for the reply. I’m thinking my issue may be fuel related. I’ll check charging system as well. I’ll report in with my findings. I appreciate your help

So I had some time to mess with the ski today. I hooked it up to the hose and started it. Battery voltage was 13.25v ran for about five min. Then started to run rough and then stalled. I can get it to restart on the hose and it will run. But on the hose really doesn’t put much load on the engine. While inspecting the fuel pump “module” I see some salvage writing on the fuel pressure regulator that says 99 gtx rfi. Again mine is an 01. I assume they are the same part. But not 100% on that. My concern is the previous owner said he replaced the fuel pump and now I know he replaced it with a salvaged unit. I’m having an issue locating my fuel pressure tester. I will rent one this weekend if I still can’t find it. I assume it’s a schrader valve on the fuel rail like on a car. And like a car I assume 50-60psi across the board is acceptable. Any feedback is appreciated. Am I on the right track or am I missing something?
Thanks again

I would change the internal fuel filters on the pump. More than likely they are restricting flow to the fuel rail. Not sure the numbers on a RFI, but should be easily found. Not sure if the RFI has an external filter, but if it does then I would replace it as well.

I would change the internal fuel filters on the pump. More than likely they are restricting flow to the fuel rail. Not sure the numbers on a RFI, but should be easily found. Not sure if the RFI has an external filter, but if it does then I would replace it as well.
I know of one on the bottom of the pump assembly.
Thank you for your help

I ordered a pump rebuild kit on amazon prime. Mainly because it came with the filters. I had another Bosch pump. I rebuilt the assembly and had the chance to take it out on the water this morning and I must say I think the problem is solved. This will get me by until I can buy the factory assembly. Have a few more issues but at least it didn’t die on me this time.

Don't run it for 5 minutes on the hose as the driveshaft seal will get too hot.
Noted. Thank you for the advice. I will let you all know how it goes this weekend. New plugs...again. I need to find out why they are oil fouling plugs. Someone told me that if it was the rotary seal I would have water in the case. Not sure on that. In the next few weeks I will be ordering a diagnostic program then. Leaning towards the candoo home version. Not 100% set on that yet. Again any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again

You could have inner crank seals leaking but it would smoke like crazy when first starting in the morning if that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back