'00 Challenger 2000. No electrical working (lights/horn/vent) BUT Motor runs great!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

NScotia

So, I have a new-to-me 2000 Challenger 2000. The boats runs great, so everything electric around the motor is good (even the bilge pump). However, NONE of the electrical works. I have replaced all of the fuses and even have power to all the switches. The only problem I can find is that I also have about 5 volts on every circuit that I test. (ie. 5 volts on the 12volt outlet, radio, horn...etc) even if the ignition switch is off. I have taken all of the fuses and and place in one by one without any change. Grounding issue???

So I am not sure what the best way to trouble shoot this is, without replacing everything. Thoughts?

My next thing is to become a premium member to get the manuals!!

Thanks for reading....

Low voltage could be a short between a + and - that is not bad enough to blow the fuses. Try isolating the problem circuit by doing this:

check voltages
pull a fuse
check voltages
pull another fuse
check voltages
pull another fuse
etc.

If you get a sudden spike up to 12V after pulling a certain fuse, you found the problem circuit. then just re-wire that one circuit or locate the short.

Also, check to make sure your getting 12V to the "supply" side of the fuse on each circuit. If your not, then the problem is before the fuses.

I would suggest a bad connection somewhere along the line, try testing for 12v between the battery and earth and battery and positive. I suspect one will give you 12v and the other won't.

Once you know which is the problem you can trace it back or run a new cable.

It could be a bad connection to the electrical box, check the conections there too.

Andy

When we bought our Islandia, the engine ran great - but none of the accessory switches worked. We thought the worst, but then began to tear into the engine bay and found that someone had disconnected all the ground wires from the battery except the main. Reconnected the wires, and all accessories work!

Used boats!

Thanks for your replies so far! Hopefully I'll be able to tackle this tomorrow.
I have 12 volts showing on all my fuses, 12 volts on all my switches. But when I turn the switch on, nothing happens.
Wondering if it is a ground issue as Natiliator mentioned. Will keep you posted.

Well, 12+ means nothing without a good 12- ground. Fortunately you have good + , which is 75% of the battle. Connect a wire directly from the ground (-) terminal on any accessory and connect the other end of the wire to the negative (-) battery terminal, then test the accessory for normal function. Either all of your accessories are burned out, or you have a bad central ground. That test will tell you witch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Electricity works the same as water. Flows the same way. Flows from the + to the - on your battery. Your accessories run inline like a fuse, or like a fuel filter does on a fuel hose. You must have a complete circuit or it wont flow. A bad electrical connection is like a clogged fuel filter, its slows or stops the flow. Test the accessory by running jumper cables directly to the accessory. Check the resistance from one end of a wire to the other end. If you understand exactly how the electrical system works, then it becomes extremely easy to diagnose wiring problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back