Importing 150 Speedster from USA

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

jase22

Hi all,

I've owned a Kawasaki jet ski in the past, and am highly interested in getting a 2010 model 150 Speedster from the USA.

In Australia, the RRP on this model is around $40,000. In the USA, its only $18,000. Given the current exchange rates (pretty much on par), I'm looking for general advice on:

1. Whether you think this boat is a good buy
2. Whether importing is a good idea? I couldn't afford it for $40k
3. How I should import it? Laws, duties? Do you have experience doing this?
4. Should I buy it with a trailer from the USA and make modifications?
5. What modifications / registration issues I will have with the boat or trailer

I'm looking for a responsive, small, agile boat that performs like a jet ski but has the room to accommodate more people. I'm a young buyer (23), and owned my first jet ski at 17. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks very much!

Hi, pm geokep, he imported an islandia. The 150 is great. Best for smoother water but would be great fun. Get the 255hp version. It'll have better resale value.
Cheers

Hi all,

I've owned a Kawasaki jet ski in the past, and am highly interested in getting a 2010 model 150 Speedster from the USA.

In Australia, the RRP on this model is around $40,000. In the USA, its only $18,000. Given the current exchange rates (pretty much on par), I'm looking for general advice on:

1. Whether you think this boat is a good buy
2. Whether importing is a good idea? I couldn't afford it for $40k
3. How I should import it? Laws, duties? Do you have experience doing this?
4. Should I buy it with a trailer from the USA and make modifications?
5. What modifications / registration issues I will have with the boat or trailer

I'm looking for a responsive, small, agile boat that performs like a jet ski but has the room to accommodate more people. I'm a young buyer (23), and owned my first jet ski at 17. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks very much!

hey mate - i work in the import industry.. so hopefully the below helps you:

3. best to talk to a freight forwarder who deals with container (LCL/FCL imports) with boats it's easy - but you need to be aware of the requirement for registration within Oz (NSW) and the import taxes.. 10% import GST and 5% import Duty.

4. If you buy a trailer - you need to apply for a MVSC (Motor vehicle safety certificate) before you import. This can be arranged through DOTARS - but it's a 2 month wait for the permit at the moment due to the backlog over xmas / NY's..
Once that's done - you'll need to modify the trailer (lights/wiring/hitch/anything else to make it ADR approved), take it over the RTA pits and get a weigh-bridge cert., blue slip and then you can get it registered..

I just imported an older 2004 Seadoo GTX and just bought a new trailer here. just because i couldn't be bothered with the above trailer permit and all the additional running around to say a few hundred bucks..

If you need help with someone to talk to - PM me and i'll send you some contact details.. I mainly do the boats, as the jetski's are generally too small for my line of biz.. but it's all the same.. :)

Hey if you get a US built Model there is no import duty as we have a free trade agreemenrt with the US. When i got mine the only thing to pay was GST and permit is $50 and u are ment to apply for it before boat leaves. or some thing elase to do is add a new vin plate to it when it gets here and say its home built easy if u live in QLD. hitch is ok to use here lights do need to be changed im guessing the the size of the speedster it may not have a braked trailer. U just need to remember if u have a problem with the boat seadoo Australia and dealers wont touch it. i have been lucky witht the islandia as seadoo australia have only brought 2 or 3 to australia and they were 2 stroke ones so Gold Coast seadoo are happy to look after my boat as it had hours on it when it got here and its different for them they stick it out the front when its down for its service and they say the people that go in to look at it is amazing.

I used a company called ICAL Internatianal Customs And Logistics (ical.com.au) to bring it in, they handle imports to all Australian ports. Their freight prices and service were prices were great. New boat is easy, 2nd hand boat ban be tough due to Q'tine. As per above, its easir to get the trailer from Australia.

check with your local dealer to see if they will service it .....mines said they would`t ..... so bought in Australia .....let me know how you get on .

Back