Beater 2007 gti 4tech showing 32 hours???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhanratt

So I bought a beat up 2007 Seadoo 4tec GTI....

The hourmeter shows 32 hours and it runs great. It has minor collision damage on the nose (spider cracks) and on the starboard rub rail about 3" from the back. It is missing about 1/2" by 3 inchs of fiberglass from the top layer of the hull and the rub rail is broken. The seat, bars and dash pad were all badly burned by the sun. I have wet sanded the seat and bar pad to an acceptable condition and used a heat gun to melt the white chalky steering bar back to black. I will likely replace the seat cover this winter but wanted to see it running good before I spent much money on it. It looks pretty presentable now but needs a little glass work and a new rub rail. Also the front storage bucket is missing its lid. The engine oil was red with a brown tint when I bought it so I changed it and the filter with new oil. The new oil went red within a few hours? No coolant loss or milky colour just a red tint. Compression was around 150-160 if I recall and within 10psi of each other. The plugs were consistent with 32 hours of use and looked new. The wear ring and impeller were trashed and I removed two rocks before I test rode it. It only got to about 60km/hr on the first ride so I changed the wear ring and cleaned up the impeller with a hammer and a file. The pump grease was clean and not contaminated. It does about 80 km/hr now but still cavitates on waves more than it should so I am considering changing the impeller and installing another new wear ring.

I have a few questions:

1.) Can I buy a new rub rail in Canada? I did some initial reading and found a place that sells the stern piece in the US but they say they can't ship the sides because they are too long.

2.) With a new impeller and wear ring what kind of top speed should I expect? This GTI currently keeps up with my Kawasaki STX 12 (82km/hr) but cant touch my Kawasaki STX 15 (93km/hr). If I change the impeller should I just go with one from the dealer?

3.) Why is my oil red? Could it be the factory original break in oil? My Kawasaki(s) came with red oil but when I changed it they didn't turn red again? (I use a vacuum tank to suck the oil out the dipstick tube) to change the oil and the sump was dry when I finished pumping. The oil filter was clean with no sign of contamination and I installed a new filter.

4.) Could this really be 32 hours and just had a really hard life??? I think the hours are stored in the cluster and also in the MPEM but I don't want to pay the dealer to read it.

Thanks for your advice.

1. I would think a seadoo dealer in Canada could get it new if it is still an available part or just buy a used rail locally.
2. In 2007, they made a 130 and a 155 GTI. If it isn't silver and say 155 in the decals, you have a 130 but could be a regular or SE version. Bottom black is SE, bottom white is regular. 155 will go about 60mph, 130 about 55mph(you can do the kmph conversion). Impellers can be found everywhere new and used, aftermarket and OEM, both are good but condition is the most important thing.
3. The oil is turning red from rust in your motor. There is no break in motor oil for seadoos. Keep changing your oil and running on lake for 20 minutes until it is clean. Every oil change only changes 2/3 of your total system oil.
4. No way it only has 32 hours. The gauge was changed 32 hours ago. For your year seadoo, the hours are kept both in the gauge cluster and the ECU. You will need BUDS or other aftermarket seadoo software to read the ECU hours but no guarantee that your ECU hasn't been replaced either, you are reading the new gauge hours that was replaced 32 hours ago. The proof is that everything is sun burnt and the gauge typically will burn first and not be legible before the handlebar pad and plastic get roached.

Last edited:
Any sea doo dealer can read the ECU and confirm how many hours the ski has, unless it was changed of course. I bought a 2006 Utopia 205 and it only had 35 hours on it, as confirmed by dealer.

The rub mail may just be a standard marine part, many are on my boat. Go to any boat store and ask to see their rub rails, pretty sure you will find one to match.

I do not see why the 32 hours showing could not be correct, especially in Canada. Here in NY (I'm 5 minutes from Canada), we get 2 1/2 months of good weather a year. I've bought MANY old skis with less than 100 hours on them. My 08 SeaDoo Challenger 230 had 113 hours on it when I bought it in 2019

As I explained above, the seat, bars, and dashpad were all badly sun burnt. For those to be sun burnt, the gauge will be absolutely burnt so that you won't be able to read how many hours or anything else on it. Being that he didn't mention any sun burn to the gauge and he can still read the hours, it must have been replaced.

I've seen plenty of low hours machines but nearly always they look like low hour skis and not a beater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back