What should I do?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

2strokeboy

I have a 951 di engine but the piston sleeves are rusty. Should I try to reuse them or find another option?

I would spray a bunch of PB blaster into the cylinders,,,try to spray all parts of the cylinder,,,let it sit a day,,,it dissolves only rust,,,
then I would turn it over,,,,
and finally,,,do a compression test,,i have had submerged skis come in with rust on the cylinders and they run properly after,

I would spray a bunch of PB blaster into the cylinders,,,try to spray all parts of the cylinder,,,let it sit a day,,,it dissolves only rust,,,
then I would turn it over,,,,
and finally,,,do a compression test,,i have had submerged skis come in with rust on the cylinders and they run properly after,
should i wipe it up after or leave it

Just take a solvent dipped rag to clean the walls,,,then spray some WD in there,,, apologies,,, thought the motor was complete,,, cylinder head on,,,,

No a ball hone doesnt take much off. But you do need to mic the cylinders to make sure they are close.

You can,,, clean them up, then put a ring on the cylinder,,,,once near the bottom and one about an inch from the surface, insert the ring using a piston so that it is square in the cylinder.
take a feeler gauge, and measure the ring gap,,, refer to the manual for this,,? If it is within specs, no need for new pistons,,, I usually just replace with new rings.

It depends on how bad the pitting is. If it is bad the rings will never seal, burn the oil film off and seize the engine.

Back