PWC requirements in CA

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

dubyayoung

I just got two old skis (shown in my avatar photo) that were abandoned, and have just about got them titled and ready to go. Now I am trying to figure out what kind of requirements I might need to be aware of (California). The best thing I've found so far is a boating guide from the DMV, but it's hard to figure out exactly what applies to PWC and what applies to boats.

Things in particular are fire extinguishers (my skis both have one, but they are probably too old, and I don't understand what kind of fire I might run into on a ski that I would take the time to dig out the fire extinguisher for), signaling device, etc.

If there are other things you can think of that I would need (or just be a good idea to have) please let me know.

Thanks for any input!

Fires...

I just got two old skis (shown in my avatar photo) that were abandoned, and have just about got them titled and ready to go. Now I am trying to figure out what kind of requirements I might need to be aware of (California). The best thing I've found so far is a boating guide from the DMV, but it's hard to figure out exactly what applies to PWC and what applies to boats.

Things in particular are fire extinguishers (my skis both have one, but they are probably too old, and I don't understand what kind of fire I might run into on a ski that I would take the time to dig out the fire extinguisher for), signaling device, etc.

If there are other things you can think of that I would need (or just be a good idea to have) please let me know.

Thanks for any input!

Sometimes, the fire idea isn't about your boat/ski. It's about the guy you might run into on the water who needs your assistance. In Alabama, it's agains't the law to pass a boater in distress.

For you, the closed engine compartment can catch fire if you have a fuel leak.

These fire extinguishers can usually be found in Walmart.

Outside the extinguisher, you are required to have a working safety switch (lanyard), a whistle, and PFD's.

I would look up the requirements in your state, since state laws are different from state to state..........and I know that you have them available online. Here, I googled "Alabama PWC laws"..............so, go for it.:cheers:

Puddingstone Lake

they require a 2lb fire extinguisher, along with obviously, the life vest, and like Snipe said, work'n landyard. Never did get rolled up anywhere else though, for work'n things/required things...

The most important.....Money for gas, money to go into a lake, money for food ......At pyramid lake they checked all the PWCs going into the water for PFD, whistles , lanyards and fire ext. Also they kicked out the 2 strokes.

Thanks for the responses!

Good tips all (especially the money one!).

Sorry to be so anal, but I just want to have a good understanding of what I am supposed to be doing.

The State of California boating requirements say clearly (NOT!) worded statements like the following:

Sound Signaling Devices: A vessel under 39 feet 4 inches (12 meters) must be capable of making an efficient sound signal, but need not carry a whistle or bell.

So I guess that's the part that means I need a whistle?

Visual Distress Signals (Coastal Waters Only): Boats under 16 feet (if of completely open construction and not equipped with propulsion machinery) (PWC are not completely open, and have propulsion, so that leaves them out of this exclusion), ... must only have aboard devices suitable for night use between sunset and sunrise.

So do other vessels need something more, like a daylight signal? Where does that leave a PWC? Are you required to have something during the day? Are lakes and rivers exempt, and you only need something in the ocean?

I may be reading too much into this, as I just found this on a California Boater Education site:

Vessels on federally controlled waters must be equipped with U.S. Coast Guard-approved visual distress signals. All vessels, regardless of length or type, are required to carry night signals when operating between sunset and sunrise (I do know PWC are not allowed to operate at night). Most vessels must also carry day signals; exceptions to the requirement for day signals are:

* Recreational vessels that are less than 16 feet in length

So according to that, PWC are off the hook for visual distress signal, I just didn't clearly understand it from the part from the State book referenced above, so I wouldn't know how to defend that if someone asked me why I didn't have a visual distress signal (flag).

Just to be on the safe side I think I'll get a whistle and a flag! (Hey, I already admitted to the anal part!)

Does your ski's have hull numbers on them? Youve registered right? Reg us a 2 year deal. Just get out and ride!! Im going again in 2 weeks.

duby...put the coast gaurd book down, and go rip ur skis'. Thursday and Friday are only good days left with this B.S. weather were get'n....:cheers:

Registration, hull #'s, 09 or 2011 stickers, vest and extinguisher...everything else, you dont need.

duby...put the coast gaurd book down, and go rip ur skis'. Thursday and Friday are only good days left with this B.S. weather were get'n....:cheers:

Registration, hull #'s, 09 or 2011 stickers, vest and extinguisher...everything else, you dont need.

DITTO:cheers:

Great, that's good enough for me!

Unfortunately for some reason my "new" registrations are only good until December, then I have to buy them again.

I am just waiting for a lien release to be notarized and mailed back to me so I can finish the registration of the Seadoo, then I am ready to go.

(May have to borrow a truck as I don't have a trailer hitch yet, but I won't sweat the small stuff!)

Should be 90's here the end of the week so I am really hoping that release comes through so I can finally get these in the water!

Great, that's good enough for me!

Unfortunately for some reason my "new" registrations are only good until December, then I have to buy them again.

I am just waiting for a lien release to be notarized and mailed back to me so I can finish the registration of the Seadoo, then I am ready to go.

(May have to borrow a truck as I don't have a trailer hitch yet, but I won't sweat the small stuff!)

Should be 90's here the end of the week so I am really hoping that release comes through so I can finally get these in the water!

What lake you going to?

If I get everything, probably Perris. I've never been there, and some people seem to be skeptical of going in the water but I'm not sure why.

Choices are few around here, especially with two strokes.

Do you have any other ideas?

Like I posted . I go to pyramid lake( great place) They did kick a guy out who had a 2 stroke BUT he was smoking really bad and that gave hime away. Now the place wont be busy or crowded at all. If your ski is running good you can get it in the water with no problem.

I think I'll try Perris first. For one it's a lot closer to me (Riverside) than Pyramid, and for two, these things do smoke a bit. Granted I've only run them for a short time on the trailer. I'll try them out at Perris and if they stop smoking maybe I'll try Pyramid. I'd hate to go all that way and find out they won't let me in the water.

Back