Just picked up my first boat! 2007 speedster 200 430hp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TedD

536.jpg

537.jpg

Annnnddd she's already in the shop. Ski locker and engine area had quite a bit of water in it after an hour in the water.
538.jpg
539.jpg

Previous owner said its likely due to me hand tightening plug in back. He said I need to use pliers to get it tight enough.
Now both engines won't fire up. Getting the 4 beeps :(
First time ever owning a boat and have only drove one once. Maybe I took the plunge too early?!

Bummer, sorry to hear about your experience. The water could have got in one of two ways, the transom plugs or the drive shaft seal(s). Transom plugs are easy to fix and/or replace, usually a simple rubber o-ring. The drive shaft seals are a bit more work. Did you notice any cavitation (engines rev. but not quite going anywhere) while on your first ride?

In any event it is critical that you get the water out of the engines ASAP if any was ingested. Not sure if you or your shop will do this, but if there is water in the crank case or cylinders it can ruin the engines in as little as 24 hrs by rusting internally. Need to crank the engine with the spark plugs out to purge any water, do a couple oil changes, then try to get them started and up to temperature to evaporate any residual water.

Once you get everything running it would be a good idea to go through each and every electrical connection that could have been under water and make sure it is dry and lubricated with dielectric grease. Things can corrode quickly (especially in salt water) and you could start having all kinds of electrical gremlins...

Since you are new to seadoo's, do you know about the superchargers and issues related to those? If not you need to seriously look into getting those rebuilt before taking the boat out again. If previous owner cannot provide evidence of a rebuild in the last 100hrs of use or 2-years then they need to be pulled and rebuilt. Neglected superchargers will explode in the engine and destroy it. Search the threads for more info about this.

Hopefully everything gets corrected without too much trouble and you can get out on the water to enjoy the rest of summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the info devonte! It's already been over 48hrs. So I guess the damage is done. They said they'll have time to look at it tomorrow.
Don't think the superchargers have ever been rebuilt. How much those usually run?
Thanks again!

With luck the engines will not a 'worst case scenario', and I hope this is the case...

As for the superchargers they can run $400-$500 each for a rebuild. I believe this site sponsors a rebuild operation, you send them in, they rebuild them properly, and send them back. It may sound expensive but that is the price you pay for "fun" and these hi performance engines.

I would definitely recommend you spend some time searching and reading different topics in the archives of this forum. No doubt it will give you a better understanding about your new boat and some things to look out for, sure did for me.

Another thing I did not mention before about the flooding, probably a good idea to have your bilge pump inspected too. It should have turned on and helped protect the boat from flooding as long as the water leak was not too severe; possibly it is not working.

I wish you the best going forward!

Just a little more information:
The bilge pump is suppose to automatically come on anytime the required float switch is activated by water raising it. The pump is designed (when functioning correctly) to work whether your power switch is on or not.

I have never had to tighten a bilge plug with pliers; more than likely the o-ring is missing and the previous owner was attempting to make a plastic to plastic seal verse fixing it.

That's a lot of water for a plastic to plastic water leak, don't you think?

I agree, he said this was after only an hour. Either the plug isn't sealing at all or most likely the shaft seal(s).

The boat doesn't have an auto bilge. Thought those were standard on boats, guess not.

Others will certainly know more than I do; however, I believe the automatic bilge is standard on all Sea-doo boats.
A simple switch powered bilge pump is about half the price of one with automatic float switch; most likely the previous owner unwisely saved a few bucks.

For sure a 2007 should have an automatic bilge pump. Check the float switch. Stupid question but did you not take it for a sea trial?

For sure a 2007 should have an automatic bilge pump. Check the float switch. Stupid question but did you not take it for a sea trial?

not a stupid question at all! cause I'm stupid!!!! lol :facepalm:
no sea trial.. was excited to grab it and it was a friday

Called the marina for an update on the boat.
They told me they haven't even looked at it yet. I had told them the bilge was full of water and the engines weren't turning on. Thought that would've pushed me up to the top of the list for at least an engine flush (they could care less). So I requested that they get around to it today, she said she'll try. If water got into the engine it has been there since Saturday. I'm assuming the damage is done???? Anyone know what this is going to run me if thats the case?
Also, the 2 throttles didnt sync RPM wise. That an easy fix? the right one would redline 3/4 of the way up.

First boat I've ever bought and possibly last. Knew these things were money pits, I was hoping to enjoy it for the summer before having to dump money into it. Most expensive 1hr ride of my life!!!!!!!!

Boats are certainly a way to spend money but their enjoyment is also hard to beat.
In your case, you went "all in" with a dual motor supercharged 430hp monster right out the gate.
Compounded by the lack of any kind of test drive or water testing; it appears that the previous owner was far from full disclosure and maybe even right out dishonest during the sale.

You will have quite a boat once it is fully repaired; it won't be cheap but sounds like you are neck deep.
Hopefully, the original price wasn't too bad and the repairs aren't worse case.

If we gave in after our fist bad experience...we would all be single.
I remember the great boating times I had growing up as a kid and I am sure my kids will also never forget the fun they have had.

Like others have said - we have all been there and have stories of owning our first boat.

Got to love boat repair shops, amazing to me they can stay in business the way they treat their customers. What is your skill level working on engines/boats? Do you have any plans to work on this boat yourself in the future? Most of us here on the site do our own maintenance and repairs and we can walk you through the process of resurrecting these engines if you have the ambition.

Priority is simply to get the engines running again and then we can help you out with all the other stuff.

Like others have said - we have all been there and have stories of owning our first boat.

Got to love boat repair shops, amazing to me they can stay in business the way they treat their customers. What is your skill level working on engines/boats? Do you have any plans to work on this boat yourself in the future? Most of us here on the site do our own maintenance and repairs and we can walk you through the process of resurrecting these engines if you have the ambition.

Priority is simply to get the engines running again and then we can help you out with all the other stuff.

Still waiting for a reply from the mechanic. Been 6 days and I'm getting pretty anxious to find out the damage.

Never really worked on cars/boats. I have been doing some DIYs on my 370z that I purchased last year. Before that I used to take my car in for every little problem. So I'm willing to learn and try things. Just a little scared of making things worse lol

UPDATE!!!

They finally got around to looking at the boat today.
They told me the battery had 2 volts. So they charged it up and both engines fired right up. :cheers: Then they told me the drive shaft seal was broken, so they're going to fix that.

Total damage so far $400.... Once they seal it up they're going to try and figure out why the rpms are soooooo off.

UPDATE!!!

They finally got around to looking at the boat today.
They told me the battery had 2 volts. So they charged it up and both engines fired right up. :cheers: Then they told me the drive shaft seal was broken, so they're going to fix that.

Total damage so far $400.... Once they seal it up they're going to try and figure out why the rpms are soooooo off.

Sounds like best case scenario to me...
Do not forget the automatic bilge pump float/switch... it should come on either (manually) with the switch or (automatically) anytime the float is raised high enough by water.
FYI: The battery power selector switch should be in the off position when the boat is not in use; otherwise, there will be a constant drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back