Contemplating a purchase, compression, sinking, and other question.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

keyser

Hello everyone, glad to be a part of the forum and look forward to learning a lot from this place. I am new to pwc's, but am mechanically inclined and have worked on motorcycles and a couple of boats successfully. A friend of mine is selling 2 jetskis with trailer and wants $2k for all. I am told they have only seen fresh water and that the last time they were run was last summer.

The first is a 1995 Seadoo GTX 657x. It starts/runs, I checked compression cold with both spark plugs out, boots grounded. Compression on the front was 130, rear was 140. At what point do you normally rebuild the top end without knowing hours? The gauges don't appear to work at all, I pulled the main information gauge and will try following the wires, but the LCD looks burned anyway. I was told that it takes on water and that it was from a bad carbon seal and I have a new one included (does that make sense as to the leak?)

The second is a 2000 Yamaha GP760. Compression cold is 140/150. Starts/runs.

Both have some cosmetic imperfections but that's not a big deal to me. I intend to run them in brackish/saltwater in north Florida, so I intend to delete the oil injections and run premix gas, will change lines, rebuild carbs, and change plugs before putting them to use. Does this seem like a decent price?

It is never that simple. If it was mine I'd do a top end o the GTX. Are the skis and trailer worth $2k? Skis are pretty expensive right now and you can spend $2k on one ski alone. If you are mechanically inclined it should not be a problem to keep them both running and reliable. I would pull the head and have a look at the cylinders on the GTX. It likely needs a top end. I wouldn't remove the injection systems off either ski. It just makes it much more simple to leave them on. Good Luck !

"It is never that simple"
That should be chiseled in granite.
Yea.... that needed to be in bold :D but I didn't want to be negative. Somewhere somebody "may" manage to buy decent skis that don't need everything. Probably in fantasy land. LOL

Thank you for your input. I have them. I replaced the carrier bearing on the Seadoo. Removing the jet housing from the hull was a feat because somebody black "gooped" the heck out of everything. I ended up having to disconnect the hoses inside and pulled the 3 hose barbs through the hull to get it off. I already know I have work to do with the gauges. New fuel lines are incoming. I have new plugs for both, carb kits, one new battery, and we'll see if they float. Any recommendations where the best place to get parts is for the 1995 models?

Last edited:
Good Job. Get R done !! :) The fun part is testing and seeing how good ya did... then go back and give em' some more love and TLC.

Last edited:
Are the gauges faded?,,,or not working?,,,replacements are hundreds!!!…you can replace the polarizing film…no biggie,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back