A stupid thing to do

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

scottozy

Here's something I hope not to do again.
I took my newly services jetski out yesterday for about an hour or so. When I returned to the boat ramp, put it in trailer and went to undo the drain plugs.
Well I would have undone them.....but they were left out the whole time!!!
Stupid to do, and probably worse to admit that I did it. But I did. Question is, what damage could this have caused? I didn't notice any water in the hull when I took it out of the water. Also the ski had been sitting still in the water with plugs out for about 1/2 an hour in between rides. To be honest I'm a bit worried about this. Lucky I didn't sink huh.
Are the plug holes on a 2008 RXP supercharged model like a 1 way valve setup? Letting water out, but not in?Only reason I can see for not being much water visible inside for the time it was in the water.

when you were moving at top speed the water would come out. I know a few lads that take the bungs out in there tinny's and go full throttle to get the water out quick.

As for damage, sorry mate couldnt tell you.

Probably too late to be of use to you now. Late model Kawasaki skis, due to inbuilt boyancy will not fill the hull above the level where the air intake system is to prevent water ingestion. This is of some comfort if you forget to put your bungs in. Not sure of Seadoos are the same.

If you took salt water in the hull and didn't notice any engine performance changes at the time i.e. stalling, cutting out, then there's a 99% chance you didn't take in enough water to cause issues.

worst case you filled up the hull and cause the ski to start sinking. or you fill up the hull and try to start the ski and it sucks up water and locking up the ski. which i know someone that did the second part to a GTI 2 stroke.

they thought the starter went bad. but i guess when you ski had water in the hull it sucked it up. i pulled the plugs and nothing but water came out for a second or two. now it wont start and the bottom end makes crazy noises.

so it sounds like you got lucky. hope that doesn't happen to me or anyone else.

Here's something I hope not to do again.
I took my newly services jetski out yesterday for about an hour or so. When I returned to the boat ramp, put it in trailer and went to undo the drain plugs.
Well I would have undone them.....but they were left out the whole time!!!
Stupid to do, and probably worse to admit that I did it. But I did. Question is, what damage could this have caused? I didn't notice any water in the hull when I took it out of the water. Also the ski had been sitting still in the water with plugs out for about 1/2 an hour in between rides. To be honest I'm a bit worried about this. Lucky I didn't sink huh.
Are the plug holes on a 2008 RXP supercharged model like a 1 way valve setup? Letting water out, but not in?Only reason I can see for not being much water visible inside for the time it was in the water.

I've found out that Seadoo RXP's like mine use 1 way valves, so water out not in, so no problems :)

Back