97 GSX Where is my trim fuse?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

HighBeam

I've looked at the microfiche after reading that the fuse can be in the rear electrical box (mine is missing the seal and bolts holding things in place, but I don't see a fuse). I checked the MPEM and iirc there were four fuses, 2 7.5 amp and all looked fine. When I bought the GSX it was missing the cover for the VTS and it got wet (don't ask me about my exhaust pipe blowing off excapades). At the time the motor wasn't even connected. I also just replaced the boot on the rear as it was dry and cracking.

My trim guage works when I move the worm manually with the motor out, it has a known good motor, but all I get is clocks when I push the trim buttons up or down. I only had a second to test with my multimeter and found that I was getting over 12 volts when one buttons was pushed, but only around 3.5 when the other directional button was pushed (reads as -3.5 because it's reversed).

I know there are loads of threads on this, I've read most of them, but with my GSX 45 minutes away I can't just run out on a whim to check it.

I'm wondering if I should, order a used trim housing, try that trim fix unit, or am I missing something in the rear electrical box?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a site (don't have it on hand) that goes through all of the VTS and how it works, troubleshooting etc. Try googling it, very extensive.
Have you tried to see if the motor works on its own? Meaning hooking it straight to the batter or 12v battery? If it is working then probably your module and try thetrimfix.com. I just ordered one for my brothers machine. It stopped working I screwed around include smacking it with the end of a screw driver (right from that site lol) and it worked. Then it just stopped again once it got all the way down. So figure it's the module. Only $100 so not bad.

Oh and get the shop manual for your machine if you don't have it. I don't know where the fuse is on the gsx, but I'm sure that will tell you. GL!

Thanks for the reply, I've seen that site and read it over many a time. My problem is that site doesn't mention anything about what it means if you're just getting clicks or exactly where the VTS trim fuse is. The motor has been tested on a 12v battery and verified good. I've found the shop manual for my year is very vague and covers all of the models made. It's been wrong on things like where all my water connections are on my pipe.

I was just digging through the owners manual online and it states that for SPX/GSX/GTX/XP models the 7.5A fuse is located in the rear electrical box along with another 15A fuse. It appears that they're under caps that just look like wire connections. It's on page 76 if that helps at all as I can't copy and paste it.

Does anyone have easy access to their GSX and can have a quick look for me? I looked in mine on the weekend and didn't see any obvious fuses, but after looking at factory manual diagrams they're supposed to be in there behind plugs (2 wires running into them attached to the board).

I was just digging through the owners manual online and it states that for SPX/GSX/GTX/XP models the 7.5A fuse is located in the rear electrical box along with another 15A fuse. It appears that they're under caps that just look like wire connections. It's on page 76 if that helps at all as I can't copy and paste it.

Does anyone have easy access to their GSX and can have a quick look for me? I looked in mine on the weekend and didn't see any obvious fuses, but after looking at factory manual diagrams they're supposed to be in there behind plugs (2 wires running into them attached to the board).

had my e-box on my 97 gsx open a couple weeks ago, each fuse has its own little container you have to open up to access the fuse

bigJake you're officially my hero for the day. Now I know that if I run out to the farm I'll actually have something to look at. All I have to do is cross my fingers and hope for an Ah HA! moment that won't be costing me big bucks.

I actually see conflicting information between the 97 shop and owners manual.

This is the wire diagram in the shop manual showing it on the MPEM.
8.png

And the owners manual does state that it is in the rear electrical box. Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back