RESTO 2nd 96 XP build

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devan

Hi All,

I had an oil lock on my 96 XP and ended up doing a full rebuild with new WSM crank, rebuilt counterbalance shaft, complete rotary valve shaft and new WSM pistons and rings. I also had everything sandblasted and powder-coated the exhaust after having all the water lugs replaced and tig welded. Also put another Mukini kit through the carbs and new carbon ring kit.

Ski runs great and cant be happier although only 140 PSI on each barrel after the rebuild.

During this rebuild i came across another XP hull with crankcase and jetpump for a steal, i also then got most of the parts i needed off another damaged sunk ski all i had to do was take the motor out and jetpump and the guy gave me the rest for $100. The other parts for the engine i ordered from fresh water locations in the US. Great set of std barrels with pistons and head with no salt water corrosion. a great set of carbs will be arriving from Minnesota soon. All i need to do on the second ski is get a new crankshaft, counter balance shaft rebuild and have the exhaust lugs replaced and then sandblasted and powder coated before it is all put back together.

I still have a bit to do on the second XP but thought i would test the MPEM from the sunk xp in my working ski. I get the double beep and it started but backfired and ran very rough. I had to clean the earth connectors on the rectifier and it runs a bit smoother with no backfiring but does not rev above around 4000 rpm. I did change out the rectifier from my working XP computer box but it did not make a difference and still does not rev above 4000 and still sounds rough but no more backfiring.

Luckily I can change out the other three components to find what part may be fault but i still think it may be a earthing problem. Thanks for any advice in advance.

My original XP
20171104_055904537_iOS.jpg

Engine after rebuild
20171103_164414072_iOS.jpg

Second XP Hull
20171110_225225822_iOS.jpg

Third Damaged XP
20171125_091037775_iOS.jpg

20171202_075409129_iOS.jpg

Second XP with gel coat cut and polish and new Hydro Turf
20171202_075355583_iOS.jpg

Parts from Third Damaged ski ready to be cleaned and installed in second XP Hull
20171125_091008215_iOS.jpg

Left box has the fault
20171205_122234490_iOS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Run a fresh earth from battery to engine or maybe one from battery to front ebox and see if it makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back