2005 GTI LE RFI starting problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ChadWalsh23

Jet ski newbie here, I picked up a 2005 GTI RFI that wasn’t running. The previous owners said it ran fine on the lake, they shut it off then it wouldn’t start again. They replaced the solenoid, but still no luck so it sat until I bought it. I tore into the motor some, did a top end kit, and ended up finding out the starter was the problem. Replaced the starter, and it fired right up out of the water, I only let it run for a couple seconds since I didn’t have a hose hooked up. Ended up putting it in the water on Sunday, but it wouldn’t start in the water. Cranked, and cranked but no start. Had spark, and fuel. Pull it out of the water and after a couple cranks it fires up. Put it in the water and it just feels super bogged down, like it needed to be cleared out. It ended up dying and hasn’t started since. Any guesses where to start? I’m going to check the injectors later today.

I'm going to follow because I'm working on the same issue with an 04. Ive checked everything and I've been trying to tell my husband we need all new batteries in them but he says since they're readig 12.4 they're fine. I'm taking them to be load tested because I'm usually right. Have you tested yours? RFIs have a heavier draw so dipping below 8 can cause similar issues

Mine has a brand new battery. It’ll start up out of the water for a split second, but won’t stay running. I’m going to try cleaning the injectors next. I’ve tried searching this forum and google, can’t find any info on what to check.

Mine will crank 4x and pretend it's ready to go and trick me into driving 45 min to the ramp. I did raves today but got down to my last 6 lobe and had dropped 3 things beneath the engine.
I bout 2 new batteries today because the one out of my ski was saying to charge and test again, it had already been charged, and the spare was at 11.8 and it had sat on the tender a few days before.
I'm going to put everything back together and try to crank tomorrow, if it doesn't work I'm going to turn my attention to the other dead RFI in my yard because I know what the problem is.
Good luck!

I've had my head in these RFI's quite a bit lately... many many hours of testing and trouble shooting. I can't imagine anything you guys are experiencing that I have not tested. If I can help, ask away. :D

Jet ski newbie here, I picked up a 2005 GTI RFI that wasn’t running. The previous owners said it ran fine on the lake, they shut it off then it wouldn’t start again. They replaced the solenoid, but still no luck so it sat until I bought it. I tore into the motor some, did a top end kit, and ended up finding out the starter was the problem. Replaced the starter, and it fired right up out of the water, I only let it run for a couple seconds since I didn’t have a hose hooked up. Ended up putting it in the water on Sunday, but it wouldn’t start in the water. Cranked, and cranked but no start. Had spark, and fuel. Pull it out of the water and after a couple cranks it fires up. Put it in the water and it just feels super bogged down, like it needed to be cleared out. It ended up dying and hasn’t started since. Any guesses where to start? I’m going to check the injectors later today.

Did you pull the fuel canister and replace the filters? I'd recommened a fuel pressure test first. I send all of my injectors the fuelinjectorman.com That will eliminate fuel delivery issues. I had a computer that dumped fuel like a pressure washer into the PTO cylinder. So you have pull the injectors and turn the engine over to verify they are spraying decently.

Also check to make sure you don't have the Rave Solenoid wire connected to the PTO injector. You can also accidently swap the throttle body wiring. I think both of these are difficult to do but apparently it happens so it must be checked and verified.

Rectifiers are not too expensive they are the easy fix at times. These skis need good clean power. I read about people finding problems and fixing them. For me.... it's always hiding in an impossible place. Replacing parts doesn't often work for me, I've tried it many many times but I have a stock pile to draw from.

This should be a start for you. Good Luck.

Also got my back burner ski doing the beep beep. I've got a short in the power wire about 4 inches from the mpem plug. I ordered a replacement main harness just in case my quick fix doesn't hold.

I've "fixed" the shit 3x now. The issue is that I'll get power to the dess a few times, ride out to test and get nothing when I put the key on, you can hear engagement but nothing on the gauges or key recognition. It's beeped 8x then I put the seats back on and tried again, no beeps, opened it up and wiggled the wire- beep beep. Like I said, we'll see.

The original problem was a corroded pin in the front harness which I replaced, but before finding that I had been over spirited while backprobbing.

Did you pull the fuel canister and replace the filters? I'd recommened a fuel pressure test first. I send all of my injectors the fuelinjectorman.com That will eliminate fuel delivery issues. I had a computer that dumped fuel like a pressure washer into the PTO cylinder. So you have pull the injectors and turn the engine over to verify they are spraying decently.

Also check to make sure you don't have the Rave Solenoid wire connected to the PTO injector. You can also accidently swap the throttle body wiring. I think both of these are difficult to do but apparently it happens so it must be checked and verified.

Rectifiers are not too expensive they are the easy fix at times. These skis need good clean power. I read about people finding problems and fixing them. For me.... it's always hiding in an impossible place. Replacing parts doesn't often work for me, I've tried it many many times but I have a stock pile to draw from.

This should be a start for you. Good Luck.
I've replaced all 3 of my rectifiers with the heavy duty ones from OSD, I'll admit that mounting them is some BS.

I'm not condemning the rectifier upgrade but I don't know that the heavy duty rectifier is actually heavy duty. I've read about them failing as well and complaints related to that. Too expensive for me with dubious benefits. I think the last time I looked I can by 3 of the replacement rectifiers for the price of one so called super duty. I don't think I ride enough to wear even one out. LOL After 20 restorations and perhaps 10 repairs I believe replacing the rectifier solved a problem about 3 times. I've unplugged a number of them and rode the ski for 20 minutes with no ill effects or performance changes at all. Many times I replaced the rectifier with new only to reinstall the old one back in the ski. To me it is just a test UNLESS the battery is not charging properly or is over charging. It's always a choice and if one can afford it I applaud that choice. That said, having a spare on hand to test is essential when troubleshooting. Always, may good fortune smile on your journey.

Last edited:
I understand, I did it as a preventative measure in mine.
As far as "heavy duty" performance goes, I can't really say, but they're heavy duty enough to drive a nail.
The kind folks in the Seadoo 2stroke group talk them up a lot, and ofc the owner of OSD marine is a member. I haven't had any bad experiences with his wares, and for someone with limited experience and ability, I appreciate the fact he has everything put together and just about ready to plug and play.

(Rambling from here on but my experience might help someone having power issues)

When I started chasing my electrical issue i got a lot of bad advice, especially since no one would listen to what I was saying and I got a lot of "did you check your compression" and "it's your mpem" responses.
I went with my gut and started with a new dess post.
I ordered one from a seller on Amazon and received exactly that. Had to order connectors, pins, a crimper, build my own bullet connector and go from there.
During the install I found a corroded pin in the Deutsch connection which correspond with the power supply wire, replaced it and viola: beep beep.

FF to the ramp: dead again, same symptoms. Took it to a nearby mechanic who was nice enough to teach me some things, tugged on some wires which pulled loose, and told me to go home and check my connections as he believed something rattled loose during the trip.
After triple checking/replacing every possible connection with no fix i assumed it was either the shoddy bullet connector or that I fried the dess post altogether.
Since this was my first attempt at doing anything remotely similar, I made the mistake of trimming my wires too short and couldn't replace the connector.

It's important to note that I was still getting clicks when attaching my key.

I decided to order a new dess assembly from OSD and start over. His came with the bullet connector already installed as well as the start/stop and all the wires pinned.
Instead of ripping all my prior work out, I tested over it with no change but left it wired in externally
Once again the only marked improvement from the original repair was the engine click.
I spent a week messing with shit and after saying to myself for the 10th time "it couldn't possibly be that tiny hole I probed into the black/yellow wire 4in from the mpem plug" I decided I should at least try to wrap that tiny spot. That's when I found out that it was, in fact, that probed wire.

I tested with the new assembly with success but before I went tearing my work out, I tested with what I had installed and also got the same results, thus proving it wasn't my shoddy skills.
I then disconnected the OSD wiring assembly, put everything back together, retested it, took video as proof and then hauled it back up the hill
When my husband got home, he asked if I had tested it after moving the trailer
I said "of course I did! (I hadn't) watch this" put the key on to show him and got nothing, no beeps. Back to square 1.

It  IS actually the probed spot in the power wire it just keeps shorting out.
I ordered a rear main harness but haven't installed it and the ski has sat untouched since August. I attempted using electronic resin yesterday and got amazing everything worked. I checked 5x with success, twice with nothing, then once again with success.

I'm hoping all of that made sense.

Sounds like a typical journey in working on these skis. :) Difficult to solve the problem from the computer. People can only offer recommendations and experiences and try our best to help. With your problem I don't understand what is going on with that wire unless it is breaking down or broken internally, bad connection, etc... I've had such problems. The wire reads continuity but can't carry the load. Not saything that is the problem. I've chased a few and so have many here on the forum. :D Good Luck !!

Bad connection internally from where I probed it incorrectly. 😞

Update: I just remembered why I went to the mechanic straight from the boat ramp, I was getting a long beep like i was attaching the wrong key. I went to see if it was my key. My key wasn't the issue. I explained what I had done, was told to check work.
I'm getting the long beep now and it's just been sitting since yesterday.

I'm sorry, it's a lot to remember considering everything I have done til this point.

Last edited:
Hi there.
Does someone have a clue what can be problem with hard start after driving?
My gti le rfi 2005 start perfect when is cold.
But after driving turn off and l wont to start it’s nothing.If l play with throttle while cranking its start on the end.Also if l leave to cold down 20 min start ok in water.
Top end is new.Spark plugs new.
Cheers

Tough call. Could be a lot of things. Rotary Valve plate could be buckled if the engine got water in it at some point. I'd check compression just to be sure. I get some spark checkers and use those to determine if you're getting spark. After inserting the ski it is not uncommon for the engine not to produce spark even though the engine turns over. Gotta check the werid stuff too. :) Good Luck !

Spark Testor.jpg

l gonna do compression today.
Last time when l checked spark plugs are wet.
Like the mixture is to rich.
What about injectors?
Someone is check them.They are spraying ok but what if they don’t close when l turn off engine?
l don’t have scan tool to see everything.
That is my problem.

Back