1996 Speedster Battery Conversion

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I don't know if I'm finishing up or opening a new can of worms on this Speedster but I'm considering swapping to a single battery electrical system. Has anyone done this conversion? Would it cause any charging issues with both engines feeding a single battery? Perhaps it is a good idea to have them separate. Help /input is appreciated.

Dual Battery brackets Speedster.JPEGI'm tempted to leave it as is.

I've also got a 96 Speedster and I did convert it over to a large 12v marine battery. But it was heavy and unwieldy to get in and out of the boat when I needed to charge it (my boat is in a storage unit with no electricity). I finally got a small 12v Lithium battery. It's been working great and has plenty of Cold Cranking Amps to turn over the engines fast... which the 2 small original batteries did not.

My only concern sometimes is, what if my battery dies for some reason? Well, flag down another boater or break out the paddle. At least with the 2 battery system, if one dies, you have the other to run one engine. If you're going to stick with the 2 batteries, just make sure they've got high CCAs.

Because of this, I may go back to the 2 battery system... plus the Lithiums are really light, small and easy to work with.

I've also got a 96 Speedster and I did convert it over to a large 12v marine battery. But it was heavy and unwieldy to get in and out of the boat when I needed to charge it (my boat is in a storage unit with no electricity). I finally got a small 12v Lithium battery. It's been working great and has plenty of Cold Cranking Amps to turn over the engines fast... which the 2 small original batteries did not.

My only concern sometimes is, what if my battery dies for some reason? Well, flag down another boater or break out the paddle. At least with the 2 battery system, if one dies, you have the other to run one engine. If you're going to stick with the 2 batteries, just make sure they've got high CCAs.

Because of this, I may go back to the 2 battery system... plus the Lithiums are really light, small and easy to work with.
Thanks so much for posting real world experience. I was concerned with charging issues of the 2 engines but I guess that isn't a problem. I have not looked at the battery set up yet and I plan to do that today. I have two batteries charged and ready to go. You bring up some valid points for certain.

I guess today will be the day I try to fire the engines on this boat. So far nothing has been easy. As mentioned in the beginning , I had what I thought was an MPEM problem as the left engine wasn't getting spark and when I swapped to the right engine it didn't get spark. I bought an MPEM off a guy and I found some issues with the plug so we'll see what happens. I'd love to try to MPEM I removed to see if it works but that's too much work for me. If this baby runs.... I'm good. :)

WOW !!!! Awesome Day !!! Nuthing like having 2 tigers by the azz and coming out on TOP !!! :D This bitch is running and not only that......

When I bought the ski I did a few checks on the port engine and no fire. I made some swaps to the right engine and no fire so as mentioned previously I got another MPEM. WELL.... After much BS setting up the Candoo on my new computer I was able to program a key for the replacement MPEM. Left engine NO SPARK. I was a bit encouraged about my MPEM not being bad. I tugged on the wires going into the MAG and one pulled out right away. Nothing left. The other fell out as well. Yeeeehaaaa !!! I replaced the wires and got some spark.

Started both engines YES INDEED !!! That means my MPEM isn't bad which is damn skippy for me !!

I don't know anything about these boats but my son had one so... I'm wonderin why the engines are running like shit and won't accelerate then I remembered the shifter position. Put the shifter in forward and the engines revved nicely. MAN WE ARE GOLDEN !!!

I still have some adjustments to make and it looks like I gotta swap the fuel hoses around on the left selector. I'm a little excited that this thing might end up in the water this week. YAY !!! I leaving the dual battery set up in place for now.

Attachments

• Speedster Fuel Selector Switches (1).JPEG
    Speedster Fuel Selector Switches (1).JPEG
    179.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Speedster MAG Plug wires (3).JPEG
    Speedster MAG Plug wires (3).JPEG
    193.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Speedster VIN Number (14).JPEG
    Speedster VIN Number (14).JPEG
    260.2 KB · Views: 4
Back