13b Mazda Rotary into SeaDoo Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it real?

With so much computerized technology out there today, I even wonder if the vids are real. I notice that with how short the vids are, there isn't any zoom outs that show as much as the inner hull, much less the whole doo!....I'm a horrible skeptic, but I don't think it's real. Now when I see the thing flyin down the river with that distinct sound of the Mazda engine, then I'll be a believer!.......

The idea is to put in a heavier, less efficient, less reliable engine in place of the perfectly good rotax motors :D

Makes sense to me :coolgleam:

Old Video

That video has been around for awhile. general consensus is, it is not a fake, because you can see the power takeoff at the bottom of the hull. That doesnt prove its in a Sea Doo, but some jet boat for sure.

As for the practicality, he probably doesnt care, it was just a fun thing to do. But id like to see how the cooling system works.

If someone offered a kit to replace my engines, id go for it. Just to see what its like.

I did a little further research a month or two ago, this company sells most if not all the parts you'd need, you'd just have to make it fit!

Now that I think about it I do see a practical use for it though... 4-stroke 146 hp and isn't too much bigger or heavier than a rotax.

Of course it still burns dirty, but if your state says no 2-strokes, then you'd be golden.

And its carb'd so you don't have to worry 'bout a complex electrical install at the same time as finagling a japanese engine into your canadian boat

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion the 13B is a great choice...

In my opinion the 13B is a great choice both German design. Use and older 13B from the 70’s (RX4) and update it to the new seals, lock the rotors, and SCCA port the exhaust. Also replace the points distributor with one from an RX7. You can get 160hp out of it and run it at 10,000 rpm with no problems. Add a supercharger and get 240hp. I did this to my Porsche 914 and she was a real sleeper. The biggest issue with the 13B is cooling and with an unlimited supply of cool water from the lake the problem is solved. You can ‘doo all of this for under a grand if you skip the super charger.
The newer 13B engines have more exhaust ports and you cannot open them up so the older models are the better and simpler choice.

Motorcycle engines?

While on the subject of mutants lol. Has anyone seen a motorcycle engine in a PWC or SeaDoo boat?

Deon, thanks for the info.

It sounds great to me. 50% more horses, 3000 more RPM, I can think of a LOT of things I could do with that :reddevil:

Plus no more premixing oils and worrying about the external oiling system on the 2-stroke.

Another plus...I can get parts from AutoZone or O'Reilly :hurray:

Wish I had known about this before I spent the grand on my new 787.

It seems that we have had this conversation before. If you think that a diferent rotax engine change can be difficult then after you did this change over you would thank that the rotax may have been a beter option. It just sounds too good to be true. Lets see some performance test. The pump we use in our older boats if I am not mistaken only develops 32 hp of thrust. The extra rpms sound nice but I do believe that this would be a money pit with bad resale value. Show me the performance proof and I will be glad to share it with every one I know. What I mean by proof is a public display of performane in a seadoo boat that is recorded on video. If you want a fast boat buy a stock fast boat and be done with it :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back