Watercrafts
    1997 GTi
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Default 1997 GTI SeaDoo Wont turn over with spark plugs in

Here we go... Sorry if this has already been posted. I have done about a days worth of Google research and found a few similar problems but seemed like none of them fit my exact issue.

My GTI has been sitting outside (Covered) for 2 years now. Last week I decided I would clean it up and see if it would fire up. I didn't have a battery for it so i used my truck (not running) to start the Seadoo. After plugging the key in and hearing the 2 beeps I hit the start button and i hear a cluck sound. I can see that the engine is trying to turn over but cant. I went ahead and pulled the spark plugs out and the engine turns over just fine. I put the rear plug in and the motor fires right up(Struggles to turn over a little) I put the last plug in and I get the "clunk" sound. After all that I decided to see if I could turn the engine over by hand(Turning the flywheel) with the plugs out and I can easily turn the engine over except at the top of the stroke it gets a little harder(Doesn't feel rough or anything). From here I though maybe the starter or relay was bad so I took a screwdriver and bridged the two connections on the relay and still get the same clunk (Ruled out the relay). After doing all that I was certain that the starter was the culprit so I went ahead and ordered a starter rebuild kit from Amazon for $18. I then spent about 3 or 4 hours removing the starter (In a very bad location i might add) and rebuilt it. After the rebuild I bench tested it and all seemed fine so I re-installed the starter. After all this I still have the "clunk" sound and no turnover. One thing i forgot to mention above is if I rotate the flywheel all the way to the right and then try to start the engine it will fire right up. I have this feeling that my starter rebuild may not have done the trick and I may end up forking over the $150 for a new one. What do you guys think?

Thank You

0 Not allowed!

2. # ADS

Watercrafts
    '00 Polaris Genesis '96 XP800 '02 Islandia 240 EFI
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168 Given: 0

You probably aren't getting enough current down the cables. AND... the old battery is acting as a Sink... and making it worse. Get a fresh battery, and try it.
    Tony
    Prez, A&L Motorsports, LLC
    PM or post for help. Don't leave questions in my profile box. (i never check it)

I'm not going to be able to do vinyl or carbs for a while. Starting my new job is taking a lot of time

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1997 GTi
    Thumbs Up

Dr.
    I am using the battery from my truck plus I don't have a battery in the seadoo at all.. I would think that if it can turn my truck engine over that it could easily turn the seadoo over. I will definitely check all the cables though. Thank you.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    2006 Yamaha VX Deluxe // 2005 Yamaha VX
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25 Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by cmorris0603 View Post
    Dr.
    I am using the battery from my truck plus I don't have a battery in the seadoo at all.. I would think that if it can turn my truck engine over that it could easily turn the seadoo over. I will definitely check all the cables though. Thank you.
    I had the positive wire hanging on by a few threads. Do the wire get hot or smoke?
    Couldn't tell b/c protective covering was hiding bad cable.
    Sold 99 Sportster 1800 Twin 717 // Sold 95 717 XP // Sold Two 96 GTI 717
    Check out my For Sale Ad's in Classifieds
    http://www.seadooforum.com/forumdisp...ea-Doo-Related

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1997 GTi
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ocod View Post
    I had the positive wire hanging on by a few threads. Do the wire get hot or smoke?
    Couldn't tell b/c protective covering was hiding bad cable.
    Not sure. I will check when I get home

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmorris0603 View Post
    Dr.
    I think you may want to double check if those electronics can handle the amperage your putting into them with a full size battery. You don't want to fry them and cause more problems.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1997 GTi
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Linescreamer View Post
    I think you may want to double check if those electronics can handle the amperage your putting into them with a full size battery. You don't want to fry them and cause more problems.
    I did some research before using the truck battery and the general consensus is 12v is 12v. The amps are drawn not pushed so I feel pretty good about using the truck battery. I do wonder though if I am loosing a lot of power through the jumper cables.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Yep, if the trucks alternator is not putting out. If you your battery is good and your battery cables and connections are good and; as you say it will fire right up some times, it's probably the starter motor not being able to handle the load of a compressed engine. Still seams funny that it will not turn over with plugs out but will start in certain positions with plugs in.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    '00 Polaris Genesis '96 XP800 '02 Islandia 240 EFI
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168 Given: 0

Bateries are a "Demand" piece of electronics. You can put a MONSTER battery out of an electric fork lift in it. As long as it's 12v.... the output will only be what is needed.

And... as far as the truck battery goes. If you have it hooked up with jumper cables... you may simply be loosing too much power. You need to be properly connected to the main cables. OR... you need a VERY long set of cables with bolt-on/clamp-on ends... and not the toothed clips of a set of cables. AND... as OCOD said... make sure the cables aren't getting hot.

Right now... I think you are chasing your tail since you don't have a battery connected directly (properly) to the system. But if you feel I'm wrong... then replace the starter.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    2003 GTI 1996 XP 1997 WaveBlaster 2 2001 XP
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18 Given: 0

I am going through the same thing with a friend's 1997 XP we have replaced everything from a working ski and get the same no crank results with plugs in but cranks fine with them out. The only thing left is the cables so that will be our last guess.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1997 GTi
    Thumbs Up

Yep, if the trucks alternator is not putting out. If you your battery is good and your battery cables and connections are good and; as you say it will fire right up some times, it's probably the starter motor not being able to handle the load of a compressed engine. Still seams funny that it will not turn over with plugs out but will start in certain positions with plugs in.
    It does turn over fine with the plugs out. Sorry if I miss typed that above.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1997 GTi
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
    Bateries are a "Demand" piece of electronics. You can put a MONSTER battery out of an electric fork lift in it. As long as it's 12v.... the output will only be what is needed.

And... as far as the truck battery goes. If you have it hooked up with jumper cables... you may simply be loosing too much power. You need to be properly connected to the main cables. OR... you need a VERY long set of cables with bolt-on/clamp-on ends... and not the toothed clips of a set of cables. AND... as OCOD said... m
    ake sure the cables aren't getting hot.

Right now... I think you are chasing your tail since you don't have a battery connected directly (properly) to the system. But if you feel I'm wrong... then replace the starter.
    I think you are spot on. I will give it a try. That starter is a bugger to get out.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1997 GTi
    Thumbs Up

Ok, so i just want to start out by saying that I feel like a complete idiot... After all that hard work it turns out that I just wasn't getting enough current down those jumper cables or just a bad connection. So here is what I did. I didn't have a seadoo battery so I just used my old 4 wheeler battery that wasn't charged and hooked it up to the seadoo. It still wouldn't start because the 4 wheeler battery wasn't charged all the way so I ran the jumper cables from my truck to the 4 wheeler battery (Installed in the seadoo) and the sucker started right up. I know have a nice rebuilt starter and the knowledge on how to remove/rebuild it. Thank you to everyone for your help especially Dr Honda. I hope this helps someone in the future.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1997 GTi
    Thumbs Up

Thanks again everyone for your help

0 Not allowed!

Thread Information