Watercrafts
    98 seadoo 787 spx
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Default no spark on 98 seadoo spx 787.

ok am going nuts. i boght the ski 2 years ago and it broke 1 year ago i filled the engine comparment with water from going under waves. it ran for one more day after that and never turned on again. all the electronics where shot. just my luck. well i took all the electronics out and the engine. i cleaned everything and checked compression on both cylinders. the water did not get past the bottom of the engine. i just had enogh money to start buying the parts i boght all the rear electrical box. the main wire harnes, the whole front box with the mpem with only 40 hours on it i also boght a buzzer because mine was shot from the day i boght the ski. i boght a new battery and charged it up. i put everything back and tryed to start it it turns over but no spark at all i get two beeps when i put the dess key in. and when i do the advanced check i get two short beeps two. am going crazy with this thing. i have a shop manual and have done the ohm check on the stator and the pick up coil they both ohm out ok. i put a test light on the white wire that goes to the coil and it lights up as i hit the start button. but nutting i think my coil is bad. i put my multimeter on the two spades on the coil and i read .07 ohm. are they supposed to be common like they are now maybe thats my problem i cant find anywhere on the shop manual where it says anything about that any help would be appreciated.

0 Not allowed!

2. # ADS

Watercrafts
    SeaDoo's: 96 GTI 720, 95 XP 800 Limited, 96 GSX 787. 2000, 18' Bayliner 3.0L.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213 Given: 31

I just happen to have a coil in the garage, when I measure across mine I'm getting about 0.9 ohms. That's with everything disconnected.
    So it's almost a dead short. I'm having a problem with an intermittent spark myself and I'm thinking, with the help of a couple of guys on this form it's the voltage regulator. I'll know in a day or two.

This may be a dumb question, but it's worth asking. Is the ground from the rear E-Box connected to the battery?

BTW, Welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

Lou
    "I would rather be lost at the lake than found at home."

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    -Thomas Jefferson-

I believe the best SOCIAL PROGRAM is a JOB!
    -Ronald Reagan-

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    '00 Polaris Genesis '96 XP800 '02 Islandia 240 EFI
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165 Given: 0

Yep... what he said.

BUT... it's common for the pickup to break away from it's mount. If the other things check... you should remove the MAG cover to verify it's still on.
    Tony
    Prez, A&L Motorsports, LLC
    PM or post for help. Don't leave questions in my profile box. (i never check it)

I'm not going to be able to do vinyl or carbs for a while. Starting my new job is taking a lot of time

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    98 seadoo 787 spx
    Thumbs Up

thanks for the quick reply. lou the rear black wire it is connected to the battery i have gone thru and replaced all the connectors and grounds. i have even thoght mabe a bad ground somewhere but i check every single one out and ohm them out i get almost perfect ground .2 ohms. and i will check again on the pickup but i just put the engine in last week and had the mag cove open and everything looked good i even put my fluke meter on the y/w and the b/y and i see my meter change like if it was getting signal. but ill check again. i also did a different test yesterday after reading an other post and took the boot of the coil cable and held it close to enginr block while turning and i get a really weak spark jumping i have to hold it really close to the block to even get one to jump. and i can even hold the cable with my bare hands while testing and dont get zaped it was risky.

again thanks guys for the responces.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    3 Modded 96XPs -=- 93 GTX for the GF -=- and at least 75 as parts for sale!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115 Given: 169

open back ebox, unhook white wire from coil and put test light between that and ground and crank. If it lights its the coil, if it doesnt its the signal. (somthing else, prob pickup)

I have all parts you may need including MPEMs.
    Current part out list; Click below to view pictures. PM for availability & pricing

Ride it like you ain't got a dime in it!!!

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    98 seadoo 787 spx
    Thumbs Up

i whent back outside and put a test light on the white wire of the coil and to gound cranked the ski over and the light lit up.it blinked quickly. so does this means my coil is bad ill start to search for one.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    Thumbs Up

Yes the white wire is the pulse signal, it means you're getting a pulse to the coil (that's good news), so it's either the coil, spark plug cables, or spark plug caps. Have you tried trimming 1/4" off the end of the cables and re-installing the spark plug caps.

Lou

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    98 seadoo 787 spx
    Thumbs Up

yes i have triming the cables and no joy i took a closer look at the manual and there should be also an ohms reading between the two coil cables and i get nutting open circuit. i took a really close look at the coil and it has a crack right down the side i will order a new coil and try again but nex time i wont hold the cable with my bear hands. thanks for help ill keep you guys posted.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    Thumbs Up

That's really good news, it's an easy fix and inexpensive too, a used one will be fine, coils hardly ever go bad. Shoot minnetonka4me a PM he'll send you a good used one at a good price.

Lou

0 Not allowed!

Thread Information