Watercrafts
    04' RXP
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14 Given: 7

Default Do you know how much your truck weighs?

I was at the landfill this morning and they have a nice modern digital scale. On my way out my 02' Avalanche came in at 6150 lbs without me in and the gas light was on (so maybe 15 litres of fuel).

Wasn't expecting that high .. but now I know why my fuel bill is through the roof!!

0 Not allowed!

2. # ADS

White Lake Township, Michigan, also some in Bradenton, Florida
    Watercrafts
    96 GTX , 99 GSX Limited, 19 ft. Glastron I/O boat.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75 Given: 18

WOW, 3 tons of truck.
    Maybe You should take all the GOLD bars out first....they weigh a lot...
    For members in Michigan, please read the following thread & post your info.
    http://www.seadooforum.com/showthrea...-Michigan-Here

If you wish to have your first name known to other members please sign up in this thread. http://www.seadooforum.com/showthrea...ht=#post313624

To all Michigan boat owners, there is a new group in SDF called MICHIGAN WATERRIDERS. Click on Community at top of pg. & find Michigan Waterriders.
    "Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship." ~ Benjamin Franklin

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    '00 Polaris Genesis '96 XP800 '02 Islandia 240 EFI
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165 Given: 0

The Avalanche is a heavy truck... that's why it's towing is less than a standard 1/2 ton.

My new 1500 Ram is about 5600 with fuel. My old Cummins 2500 was 7900 with fuel... 8800 gvw and 24,800 GCVW !!!!! Yes... it's had a 16,000# towing. (got to love the Diesels) I didn't even know my seadoo boat or skis were behind me. (like a midget on a fat lady)
    Tony
    Prez, A&L Motorsports, LLC
    PM or post for help. Don't leave questions in my profile box. (i never check it)

I'm not going to be able to do vinyl or carbs for a while. Starting my new job is taking a lot of time

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    04' RXP
    Thumbs Up

Hey Doc,

The rams certainly are impressive. I was just surprised I wasn't expecting the avy to be such a heffer. I think it (avy z71 trim) can pull around 8000lb max. Which is more than enough for my use, but back to the rams my uncle has a newer diesel, I was over having a pint with him on superbowl sunday and he just finished putting in this bully dog programmer with propane injection system. In my opinion a little over the top but impressive none the less. There isn't much you can't do with the cummins thats for sure ...

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    Thumbs Up

My uncle just got rid of his Avy, and replaced it with a V10 F-250. (idiot) He was towing a 30' travel trailer with it, and it was more than the Avy could realistically handle. (for long trips) I told him to get a diesel 3/4 ton. He called me up a few days after our talk to come see his new truck, and when I saw he got a gas engine to use as a tow vehicle... I said... "you know you are going to get less than 10 mpg." His response was... "But Diesel fuel is more expensive." My response was... "When I pulled your trailer last time... I got 17 mpg. SO... how is that more expensive???"

I loved my old truck. Unloaded it would get 19 to 22 mpg, and had enough torque to give most sports cars a good run. (light to light) I wanted a new Cummins, but I couldn't afford it.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    2004 Speedster 200 310HP
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21 Given: 12

Yeah it is crazy how much the Avys weigh. Mine is an 05 Z71 and I weighed it once at a truck stop and it was 6720ish with a full tank of gas. They are fat pigs really. That is one reason why they have transmission problems. The truck is just too heavy for it. Gas mileage is a joke. I get around 12 with normal driving. Towing the boat I'm around 9 to 10. They claim it can tow 8500 lbs, but I bet that is really pushing it hard. I love it though and the only reason I would get rid of it is for a newer one.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    Thumbs Up

My new 1500 isn't too bad. When I tow my RZR... I can still get 14 mpg. BUT... I'm sure if I put any real weight behind it, it will drop to less than 10.

I just found out my buddies, brother just got rid of one. I guess his had an engine that shut off 4 cyl for better fuel mileage. Well... after 40k miles... it was drinking a quart of oil per 500 mi. SO... he got all of his money back under the lemon laws. (Crazy) I guess they already tried to fix it, and they replaced the engine once. (at 22k mi) The turning off the cyl thing has NEVER worked. Now I waiting for the reports to come in about the 5.7l Hemi. (They shut off 4 cyls now also)

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    04' RXP
    Thumbs Up

I was always marvelled by the engineering of the "displacement on demand" i think its called. But yah it never really panned out. I'm hope the guys at dodge know what they're getting into. Everybody I know that has (had) it have had the very same problem you've described, with insane oil consumption. I didn't realize they made a truck engine with it too. I just knew it was in some impalas/cadillacs etc.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    04' RXP
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RFoster130 View Post
    I love it though and the only reason I would get rid of it is for a newer one.
    Same here, I'll be looking for a lightly used 08'-09' one in the next year or so. I've never had/seen such a nice driving truck. Although I think it may actually come off the surban line. Anyways they rock for a guy who needs a truck some of the time but needs a place for a car seat most of the time.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Gvw of my super duty diesel F350 is 9900...weighs in at about 8k lbs give or take what's in it

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Short Bed, Super Cab F250

front axle 4160
    rear axle 2780
    total truck 6940
    2003 SeaDoo Sportster LE 951 (carb)

0 Not allowed!

Thread Information