Watercrafts
    96 seadoo gtx, 97 seadoo gtx
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Default 96 & 97 gtx 787....Rectifier problem?

I have, as stated above, a 96 and 97 gtx's and both have a constant draw on the battery. After unplugging every wire I possibly could I found that the wire running to the stator housing was where the draw was coming from on both of them. I followed those wires to the front boxes and it looks like they are running into what I believe is the rectifier. So, the two questions I have are is that actually the rectifier that they are running to and is the rectifier bad if it is allowing a constant draw on the battery like that? Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed!

2. # ADS

Watercrafts
    1997 Challenger, 1997 GTX , 1991 SP and a shop with 2 spare 787cc's and a bunch of parts laying arou
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32 Given: 0

The batteries in the DESS equipped systems are used to maintain the electronics, even when the ski isn't running. This is normal. If you walk up to the ski, without your DESS cap connected, you'll notice the dash lights up and your gages come alive. That is because there is power up to the mpem will the craft is in rest. When you push the button, the power system is told to power up from the mpem. That is why you will always have a light draw of power from the battery.

If your going to store it for any prolonged period, it is suggested to remove the battery. When stored over winter, remove the battery.

Yes, that is your rectifier.
    Looking for tips and advice, researched articles on carbs, spark plugs and general maintenance can be found at Snipes Korner. You can also follow me on "Twitter".

Quality parts at low prices, visit Seadoowarehouse right here in our own forum. Please PM me if you are having a problem finding what you need!

Is your jet ski fast? Do you want your XP or RXP to stand out? I know a place that has what you need to make it faster. Make your jetsksi a muscle craft, not just the ordinary, standard stock ski.

Seen my GTX?... Those awesome graphics can be purchased from JetSki Detailing. Tell them Seadooforum sent you.

Ever wonder what the inside of your 787cc engine looks like. Want to identify the parts, check out my thread on the 787. I'm sure there is something for everyone who want to learn about the internal parts.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    96 seadoo gtx, 97 seadoo gtx
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Thanks seadoo snipe. Usually the battery will die within a couple days or a couple minutes of trying to start the ski's if they don't start immediately. I tested with a test light and by how bright it lit I was inclined to think it was a pretty heavy draw. Is it possible for the mpem in rest to kill the battery that fast?
    Also, what are the symptoms of a bad rectifier? Thanks

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1997 Challenger, 1997 GTX , 1991 SP and a shop with 2 spare 787cc's and a bunch of parts laying arou
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32 Given: 0

No, the only way you'll kill a battery that fast is if the battery has a weak cell or two. If the battery is new or old, it doesn't matter, take it down for a load test. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's good. I have bought new batteries with a dead cell.

Just like a speaker on a radio, it has power supplied to it, but not using any unless you turn the volume up. The same principle applies here. The electrical system is hot, but won't use but a small amount of voltage to keep power to the mpem. And of course, if you stick a test light to that hot current, your going to light up as bright as a 12 volt system will allow. Just because you have a light, doesn't mean the system is using that amount of power.

0 Not allowed!

Thread Information