Watercrafts
    2005 Sea-Doo RXP
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Default Starting Problem

Hello - I'm brand new to the forum, just joined today.
    My son and I purchased a 2005 RXP last May with 85 hours on it. We had the local Sea-Doo dealer in Truckee, Thin Air, perform the supercharger upgrade and a general tune-up. We used it on Donner Lake (Truckee, CA) this summer, and it was great. While riding on Donner Lake, my son stopped the engine in order to have a rider drive it using the trainer key. However, the beast wouldn't re-start, even with the standard key. He flagged down a nearby boat who towed him back to the dock. The starter would only run for about 2 seconds and then the starter would stop, even with the starter switch depressed. We took it back to the house and it still wouldn't start. We then took it to Thin Air, and when they tried it, it started up.
    Does this sound like something that has happened to any one else out there?
    The dealer thought it might have been the Bendix assembly, but why would the starter stop after 2 seconds of cranking? Normally, the starter runs for more than 2 seconds until it actually starts.

Many thanks for your support,
    Dick

0 Not allowed!

2. # ADS

Watercrafts
    Sea Doo 95, XP, SPX, GTX, SPI, XP, 97 Polaris Hurricane
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21 Given: 3

Key could be dirty, wires if not properly secured by Zip-tying can come loose, ect.
    Suggest you do some maintenance & load testing so you don't get struck in NoWheres-ville.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    2005 Sea-Doo RXP
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Default Starting Problem

Bills86e - Thanks for your response. I'll check the contacts for any sign of dirt or corrosion. What do you suggest cleaning them with?
    The thing that puzzles me most is the fact that the starter ran for a few seconds and then stopped with both keys. If it were the starting clutch("Bendix"), then I would have expected the starter to run free at a higher speed. At least this has been my experience with automobile engines. As I wrote, the dealer thought it might be the Bendix assembly. Unless Jet Ski engines are different than automobile engines, my symptoms don't really sound mechanical to me. Is there a relay or electrical solenoid that might be the source of the problem? I guess it could also be the pushbutton starter switch itself.
    In addition, the fact that it just ran the starter for a few seconds might be related to something in the computer where if it senses something isn't right, it disables the starter. Is this a possibility?
    When it does start properly, the starter will stay engaged as long as the switch is held down, typically 3 to 4 seconds before it starts.
    Where would I be able to get a schematic for the beast? I'm an electrical engineer, so it would be helpful to see the big picture.

Thanks again,
    Dick

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    Sea Doo 95, XP, SPX, GTX, SPI, XP, 97 Polaris Hurricane
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21 Given: 3

You will find a wireing diagram in the Service Manual, and pictorals (technical) on
    your ski, available by becomeing a Premium Member and have access to the Library.
    Here is a link to parts microphishe.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....?Type=12&A=129
    Your Service Manual is specific for your model/year, 2005 RXP. You can Download
    it from the library to your computer. Its a "MUST HAVE" to properly understand and maintain your machine. DIY is very rewarding.

0 Not allowed!

Thread Information