Watercrafts
    1998 Sea Doo GTI
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Default Jet ski won't go above 10MPH

I own a 1998 Sea Doo GTI that I bought used in 2006 with only 90 hours. I have done all the basic maintenance and winterization myself, hasn't been into service since I bought it (bad idea, I know, was trying to save $). It's always worked great summer, after summer. However, last night was our second time out on the water and after 30 minutes and 3/4 of the way to our destination the jet ski was acting like someone was giving it gas, then letting go of the throttle, giving it gas, letting go, etc. We were cruising at 40MPH and every minute it would go down about 5-8 MPH to finally we had to idle to the dock. Looked like the spark plugs were wet, so I waited 30 minutes, then tried it again. It will start up fine, but once it gets above 10MPH, like you are goin to cruise on a plane, it's like it's not getting gas. I switched it over from on to reserve, didn't help. I'm thinking something might be stuck in the fuel filter? We didn't hit any weeds or anything, we were in the middle of the lake when it started dying. The gas is still from when I winterized it and is only 1/4 tank down. I added stabilizer in the fall and Sea Foam in the spring and it seemed to clear up the lines. Before I really bite the bullet and take it in for a $$ service, was hoping someone could HELP!!!!

0 Not allowed!

2. # ADS

Watercrafts
    2000 Sea Doo GTI
    Thumbs Up

For what it's worth, I have a 2000 GTI and I had a simular situation happen to me. What they found was one of the cylinders had lost compression. Had to have a top end done. I found a local guy to do the top end for $1100. But it was going to be around $2000 at the dealership. They don't even mess with doing a top end anymore. They take the motor out and send it to a company in Florida and get a rebuilt motor. Usually comes with a 1 year warrenty but you can get a 2 year warrenty for a little more.
    Last edited by srlfish; 06-19-10 at 01:43 PM.

0 Not allowed!

Experienced Rider
    Watercrafts
    1995 GTX 1997 Challenger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1 Given: 0

The first thing is a compression test 150 is ideal, then fuel flow, oil flow, clean water/fuel filter, rework the carbs of neglected this long, open the fuel selector switch to check the o-rings decayed and jamming in the fuel holes, any fuel leak is a air leak which cuases lean burn out, this can happen from mixing oils also it forms a paste like dried jelly on the outside of the jar and jamms the oil nozzles, mark the tank to be sure it is drinking.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1998 Sea Doo GTI
    Thumbs Up

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Default Problem solved!

Just wanted to let you know that the gaskets in the carb were shot. After the jet ski had warmed up they would fail, hence why I wasn't able to go above 10 mph and kept bogging down. For future reference, the ethanol in the gas is the culprit of the gaskets going so fast and adding Marine Stabil will correct this problem and keep them from drying out so fast. I have a friend who owns almost the same exact jet ski and he was experiencing the same problem, so I was able to fix it for him. Thanks for all your suggestions, glad that I saved a few hundred before bringing it to the dealer!

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    (2) SeaDoo 1995 SPX 5874
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1 Given: 1

Wonder whether you have changed the fuel lines yet, to save future problems. Internal carb filters clean?

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1998 GTi
    Thumbs Up

Default What kind of gasket did you replace? I have GTi the same year with the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Wonder whether you have changed the fuel lines yet, to save future problems. Internal carb filters clean?
    What kind of gasket did you replace? I have GTi the same year with the same problem

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    SeaDoo's: 96 GTI 720, 95 XP 800 Limited, 96 GSX 787. 2000, 18' Bayliner 3.0L.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217 Given: 31

This thread is almost two years old, I think you would have better results starting your own. You might want to check out this thread if you still have grey fuel lines.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthrea...ogging-surging

Lou
    "I would rather be lost at the lake than found at home."

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    -Thomas Jefferson-

I believe the best SOCIAL PROGRAM is a JOB!
    -Ronald Reagan-

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1998 GTi
    Thumbs Up

Did you replace all the carb gaskets?

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    (2) 2002 SEADOO GTI.
    Thumbs Up