Watercrafts
    1998 Sea-Doo XP limited
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Unhappy 98 XP Ltd drives me crazy - now electrical bug

Hi everyone!

Looks like I just got bad luck with my Jet

Bought end of last summer a '98 XP Limited that is modified to premix fuel. When I wanted to try it out the starter broke after two starts. So I put a new one in... and wanted to try again. Started right up - but guess what happened... I had NO power!!! It realy drove me crazy! I was that sad that all this s**t happens to me with my FIRST Jet! damned unfair! I was that upset that I decied to search for professional help and drove to the next See-Doo service-station (about 80 miles away). Then the nightmare started: got a new Impeller, VTS (was wet inside), wearring, pump repair, head pipe ass'y (old was broken) and a carburator repair. End of October I got it back... It drove great and I had much fun. Payed now all together 5k for it
    At least it runs almost fine now - I only have to give him a few minutes to warm up in idle drive till it accepts more gas. But guess it's normal for the two storkes. Just need to add a primer and fix the speesensor (just ordered both) and do some beauty fixes at underboard then I got a nice good Jet I thought.
    I got the Jet out last week first time this year. Thought it would be best to flush it before I start the first ride. So I did and let it run a while. Suddenly the rpm went up to max and I couldn't get it down again.... pulled the flush tube and then the key. But guess what happened: it was still running at max!!! Pulled the ignition wires... it still run at full power! Had a compression-ignition engine
    I turned off the fuel and after a while I got it stopped. PHEW, nothing happened! When I tried to start it again after an houre it worked like nothing happened. So I took it to the river and gave it a try. Drove great after it was warmed up for the first 30min. I stopped for a few at the beach. When I wanted to start for a little trip I only drove 500m, the the Jet stopped. Whole electrical power was lost. Had to jump in the 8C cold water and swim back with the Jet
    Thought it might just be a fuse. I found the 15amp fuse of the MPEM broken. I replaced it and electrical functions were back. Tried to start and 15amp fuse burned again. Replaced it again and turned the engine by hand. The 15amp fuse burned again!!!
    My brother put a fuse-checking-tool in that 15amp slot and messured a way to high voltage.
    He tried to bypass the starter with a screw driver (in the front electrical box). It worked, starter was turning. But after that it didn't do it again. The relais was just clicking and you could just hear a click from the starter.
    We thought the starter is burned again, so i fixed my old one and put that one in again.
    Nothing happened, still got the same problem.
    We thought now about changing the starter relais.
    If it is not that, I thought it will probably be the stator/ magneto at the flywheel. Or what do you think? Do you think I even lost my MPEM?
    Damn, this Jet realy drives me crazy and costs me that much money!
    Don't know what to do anymore!!! Repair it again or better go and buy a new one?
    Thanks already forwarding for your help guys!

Your sad Seadoo-Lover

0 Not allowed!

2. # ADS

Watercrafts
    97 XP..building motor, 96xp w/97gsx guts, 98 sportster 1800, 97gti...$200 buks,
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1 Given: 0

Sorry to hear about the mis-haps, bud....if/when the motor "runs away" like that, you need to pull the choke. Thatsthe only way of killing it.

Sounds like your "bendix" went south, in which yyou'll need to pull the magneto cover off to inspect. The 15amp fuse is popping, more than likely, because you got metal debris ALL OVER the inside of the mag/stator assy. Undo the front mount bolt, prop the motor up, so you can removethe mag cover, then undo and pop off. Clean with rag/compressed air..etc, anything you can to removet hat crap, along with taking a look at the "bendix" assy,..where the starter makes contact with".

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    Sea Doo 95, XP, SPX, GTX, SPI, XP, 97 Polaris Hurricane
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19 Given: 3

Air leaks anywhere into the motor case will cause a lean condition.

Check to see if the throttle cable has slack in it when it is at rest. The most common problem of a runaway idle is that the last guy did not install the throttle cable with enough slack in it. But that only applies to one that has had work done to the carbs or to the cables. On trailor, back it in and lower the idle speed in water.
    Sometimes richening the low speed adjusters will stop this runaway condition, unless the jets or filters inside the carbs are clogged up. They will runaway when on the trailor, but not in the water as a load is on the engine. IDLE STOP SCREW
    The idle stop screw is used to adjust the idle speed (rpm) by opening or closing the throttle valve. Refer to your watercraft owners manual for the correct idle speed. As a rule of thumb, adjust the idle speed to approximately 1100-1400 rpm. Out of water, it should idle about 2800 rpm's.

They run away because they are too lean for the amount of fuel being put into the motor. They get too mch air, and not enough fuel. 951 engines will run away even without air leaks or lean condition.

CHOKE IT TO KILL IT
    Last edited by Bills86e; 03-28-10 at 11:01 AM.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1998 Sea-Doo XP limited
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for your fast answers! - I ordered a new starter relais today, with the hope it will fix the electric bug and I don't have to pull the whole engine to check/ clean the stator.
    The relais seems to be definately broken... and even with a bugging mag/ stator the starter should do it's job and engine should even run, like a car does with a broken generator. Or am I wrong?

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1998 Sea-Doo XP limited
    Thumbs Up

Default got more news after little repair

Replaced the started and the starter relais in the electrical box. I even pulled every plug connection and put some WD40 in it to ensure they are all working. Checked all fuses and even took a new batterie. (can't tell you anything about a beep signal cause it isn't working for long)
    If I put the key in the gauges get power, trim is working. When I to push the start button I can just hear the click of the new relais and a click of the starter. But it won't crank the engine!
    I can turn the engine by hand without problems. No fuse is burning anymore. (So I guess the 15amp fuse at the top of the fuses on the mpem might have got burned through any starter or starter relais problem before). I even pulled the plug of the stator and tried to start... no chance, same thing happens if I got the plug in!
    Please help me to find the mistake guys - sunny weather.... would love to ride the ski
    Thanks already forwarding!

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    Thumbs Up

need to pull the mag cover off and inspect the "bendix". Its what the starter engages to turn your motor over. Undo the front motor mount, prop it up w/piece of wood, and undo the bolts.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    XP 951
    Thumbs Up

Had similar issue

Pull the the plug in mpem that has three yellow wires. Closest to engine. Yellow wires are in a line at the bottom of plug

Measure the resistnce between any two yellow wires (these are magneto wires)- should be below 1 ohm. Then measure resistance between all wires and earth and should be infinity.

This shows if stator is stuffed. In your case picking one of yellow wires will have continuity to earth, Might be stuffed due to age/moisture or starter bendix stuffed so contaminating stator with metal frragments.

Got my stator rewound and she runs a dream

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1998 Sea-Doo XP limited
    Thumbs Up

Thumbs up looks like we found the prob

Hey guys, got good news!
    Think we found the problem!!!
    Looks like the main power cable to the front electrical box seems to be damaged! We put a direct connection with a jumper cable from the batterie to that box... and guess what happened... the starter worked and was cranking the engine! Even my buzzer is working again - thanks to WD40
    Tomorrow we wanna put a new cable in and then I hope we fixed it.
    Thanks again everyone for all your help and advices!!!

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1998 Sea-Doo XP limited
    Thumbs Up

Unhappy Don't know what to do now!!!

We put in a new power cable and the ski started as it should. Tried about an hour later with out any problems too. Took the ski to the next river about 2 hours later, started it and drove on almost idle speed to get the engine warmed up. About 1-2 minutes driving the ski suddenly died. Couldn't start it again, all power was lost again.
    Towed the ski back to my trailor and noticed that the 15amp fuse broke again!
    Back home we replaced the fuse, but it was already burned before I could try to start. My brother put his amperemeter in the 15amp slot... he measured 19.3 ampere without having the key plugged!!!
    Tried to start and it did, just the gauges were jumping or went off. He measured that the ski is not loading the battery.
    We realy don't know what to do anymore. Why is there 19.x amp on the 15amp fuse spot without having the key plugged?!?

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    Thumbs Up

15amp is your charging system....pull the mag cover off, bud.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    Sea Doo 95, XP, SPX, GTX, SPI, XP, 97 Polaris Hurricane
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19 Given: 3

Load test the battery and replace it if bad, then test Rectifier voltage at 5500 rpm, it should not be more than 15vdc. Its bad if it does.

Your VTS could be going south, disconnect that just to rule it out.

Have you done the yearly wire loom connector inspection & dielectric greaseing?
    Pins and ends discolored means they are oxidated and needs that cleaned off for good connections. Fuses = male & female?

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1998 Sea-Doo XP limited
    Thumbs Up

Battery is not loading with running engine. If I put a new 15amp fuse in without any key plugged it burns during I plug it in. If I put amperemeter in it shows still the 19.5amp. If I pull the mag connection I measure 0amp, reconnected the 19.5amp again. Guess mag realy got damaged and switched now to consumer load taking these 19.5amp. Is it possible that the mag can do that?
    Will deinstall the stator tomorrow or monday. Hope I need just to clean it and it will work again. Otherwise I found a company remanufactoring stators...

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    98 XP limited 94 sp
    Thumbs Up

I have the same ski and nothing but problems. I have a 94sp runs like a charm, the wife has a Kaw and never an issue. I like you have more issues than time to fix them. Good luck I hope you find get it fixe, they sure are great when running...

0 Not allowed!

Thread Information