Visit PWCMuscle.com
for 15% off all Hydro Turf - CODE: HYDRO15
Need OEM parts for your boat or PWC? Visit SeadooWarehouse.com
  1. ☑ ORIGINAL POSTER #1
    Watercrafts
    Seadoo Challenger 2000 Seadoo Challenger 1800
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Default Seadoo Challenger 2000 Excessive Smoke on start up.

New member so please be patient if I missed a previous post on this topic. (I tried looking)
    My year 2000 Seadoo Challenger 2000 with the M2 Jet Drive 240hp EFI is smoking excessively on start-up. The oil used is Quicksilver Premium Plus for 2 stroke engines. After a 5 minutes of running it calms down; however, if I go back to idle the engine will smoke a little but not excessively. When at power above idle the engine runs very smoothly. Is this simply a adjustment issue with the oil injection pump or something more serious? After reading more information I would add that the smoke coming out of the exhaust is grey/light blue if that means anything? Also I now realize that the port exhaust hose has delaminated and needs replacing.
    Thank-you for any response.
    Last edited by Restel; 11-20-09 at 10:35 PM. Reason: More information...

0 Not allowed!

2. # ADS

Watercrafts
    1997 Challenger, 1997 GTX , 1991 SP and a shop with 2 spare 787cc's and a bunch of parts laying arou
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78 Given: 0

Default Electronic Enrichment system..?

It sounds to me, you've got a problem with the turn key electronic control system.

This system is designed to adjust the mixture in your motor till the engine warms up. If that control module is no longer working, I would think this would be the result.

If you'd like to find out more, you'll have to PM rookie101. He's our moderator on the M-2 Merc's and a pretty good one at that, I might add.

I would hate to try and go on and lead you on the wrong path. I only know a little about those things.

Your thread is fine, your in a good spot for it. You can use the private messages by clicking on the link right below your name up top, on the right.

Welcome to the Seadooforum!....
    Looking for tips and advice, researched articles on carbs, spark plugs and general maintenance can be found at Snipes Korner. You can also follow me on "Twitter".

Quality parts at low prices, visit Seadoowarehouse right here in our own forum. Please PM me if you are having a problem finding what you need!

Is your jet ski fast? Do you want your XP or RXP to stand out? I know a place that has what you need to make it faster. Make your jetsksi a muscle craft, not just the ordinary, standard stock ski.

Seen my GTX?... Those awesome graphics can be purchased from JetSki Detailing. Tell them Seadooforum sent you.

Ever wonder what the inside of your 787cc engine looks like. Want to identify the parts, check out my thread on the 787. I'm sure there is something for everyone who want to learn about the internal parts.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1998 Seadoo GSXL & 2000 Seadoo Challenger 2000
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1 Given: 0

I have the same boat and mine does pretty much the same, at startup when cold and when taking off from idle. Really depends on your definition of excessive. All 2 strokes smoke to some degree because that is how they are designed to lubricate the cylinders.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    2006 Yamaha AR230 HO 320hp
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4 Given: 0

It may be as simple as an adjustment, or a control rod has fallen off. If you look just by the Vapor separator you will notice that on the throttle bell-crank there is a link rod that runs to the oil pump arm. Make sure it has not fallen off. Occasionally the plastic "bell" end of the rod cracks and they can come loose. If it's intact make sure the timing marks are lined up. With the throttle arm against idle stop, adjust length of link rod so that stamped mark of the oil pump lever aligns with stamped mark of the oil pump body. The mercury runs at 50:1 at full throttle and 100:1 at idle, with the pump going to default (50:1) if the rod comes off, which would cause it to smoke at a low power setting.

If everything is OK there, the pump it self may be to blame, or there is a mechanical problem with the engine. Also make sure you are running the proper plug and that they are no more than a year old. NGK BPZ8HS–10
    Gap: 0.040 in. (1.0 mm).

Start here and let me know what you find.

Aaron

Edit: Be sure and change all the exhaust hose. We had a member near the beginning of the summer that spent months pulling his engine apart trying to figure out a runnability problem that turned out to be a delaminated exhaust hose on the same engine you have.
    Last edited by rookie101; 11-21-09 at 07:26 PM.
    Looking for parts for your Doo?? Click HERE

Find your Mercury M-2 motor and pump parts here!

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    SeaDoo Challenger 2000, year 2001, 240 EFI
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1 Given: 0

Default Smoking M2 EFI

I switched to using AIMSOIL HP Injector oil which is a full synthetic oil. It seemed to reduce the smoke some what. Plus I replace the spark plugs every year.

Difinetly replace the bad exhaust hoses. They can block the exhaust flow and reduce the maximum rpm to around 3000 rpm.

0 Not allowed!

Thread Information