Watercrafts
    98' Seadoo GTX Limited
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1 Given: 0

Default Battery keeps going dead.

What charges up the battery and how does it do it? How do I check it? This is an on going problem and I went to start it up this weekend and it wouldn't. It isn't the arm band thingy. The gauges wouldn't even light up. They normally do with the kill switch thing on.

0 Not allowed!

2. # ADS

Banned
    Watercrafts
    99' Seadoo Speedster
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4 Given: 0

battery will die over time, if not on charger/tender.
    Battery will keep its charge from the "rectifier" on the ski, so, when skis' running, the volts should be above 14.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    98' Seadoo GTX Limited
    Thumbs Up

Measure at the terminals when disconnected from the battery?

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    '03 Glastron GX-185 4.3 V-P I/O Fresh out of Seadoos!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

I have 2 trickle chargers from Walmart. They can work at 2, 4, or 6 AMPS, and I set them for 2 and leave them over night.

On the XP, with the small motorcyle battery, I have to charge it every other week (one year old battery) or it will die when I try to start it.

On the boat, with a full size car battery, I do it less often. Maybe if i don't use it for a month.
    I just wanna go fast, get wet, and have fun...

And if you get bored check out my Maverick website http://scooper77515.fordmaverick.net/index.htm

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1997 Challenger, 1997 GTX , 1991 SP and a shop with 2 spare 787cc's and a bunch of parts laying arou
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33 Given: 0

Default Charging system....

You'll need a multi meter for the test. You can buy a cheap one from Walmart.

Charge the battery. Before starting, take a reading. The meter should be set at 20 volts DC. You should get a reading of about 12 volts. Now, start the ski. Read the battery now with the engine running. If the charging system is working, you should be seeing about 14 volts are just a bit more. If you see 15, your rectifier/regulator is shot. If you get the same number on the battery stopped and running, then it's shot.

If your reading is good, just over 14 volts, then take the battery down to your local "autozone" or "advanced auto parts" and ask them to load test it. It's free of charge.

Remember, ski batteries normally last no more than one or two seasons........
    Looking for tips and advice, researched articles on carbs, spark plugs and general maintenance can be found at Snipes Korner. You can also follow me on "Twitter".

Quality parts at low prices, visit Seadoowarehouse right here in our own forum. Please PM me if you are having a problem finding what you need!

Is your jet ski fast? Do you want your XP or RXP to stand out? I know a place that has what you need to make it faster. Make your jetsksi a muscle craft, not just the ordinary, standard stock ski.

Seen my GTX?... Those awesome graphics can be purchased from JetSki Detailing. Tell them Seadooforum sent you.

Ever wonder what the inside of your 787cc engine looks like. Want to identify the parts, check out my thread on the 787. I'm sure there is something for everyone who want to learn about the internal parts.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    98' Seadoo GTX Limited
    Thumbs Up

It was dead. Like 2 volts w/ my Fluke 87 and 79 multi meters. I decided not to use the other better Fluke meters I have. I've got a scope meter also. I put it on my charger and it came up bad battery. I'm gonna take it and a car battery down to Advanced Auto and have them test them. I need to go check it again. Man I forgot all about it. Ooopppsss!

0 Not allowed!

Banned
    Watercrafts
    Kawasaki, Yamaha, Sea Doo and Sea Jet
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by slowboatn View Post
    What charges up the battery and how does it do it? How do I check it? This is an on going problem and I went to start it up this weekend and it wouldn't. It isn't the arm band thingy. The gauges wouldn't even light up. They normally do with the kill switch thing on.
    Well, as the flywheel rotates around the stator, the magnets on it in conjunction with the windings on the stator create a magnetic field. The coil then sends the resulting current to the voltage regulator/rectifier in the form of AC (alternating current) where it is converted into DC (direct current) which your electrical system can then process to power various items and recharge the battery.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    98' Seadoo GTX Limited
    Thumbs Up

Hmmmmm......... I have to take the batteries up to the auto parts store and let them check them. Have to go to Academy to find some other stuff. Should I put the battery back in and start it and see what the rectifier is doing? Or should I just leave it on the trickle charge and when we decide to take it out see what happens them. I'm trying not to have any problems.
    Last edited by slowboatn; 03-08-09 at 10:54 AM.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1997 Challenger, 1997 GTX , 1991 SP and a shop with 2 spare 787cc's and a bunch of parts laying arou
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33 Given: 0

Default Testing

Yes, you can start the ski and see if your charging circuit is working correctly.

Before starting, get a base line measure of power inside the battery. Then, after starting, test again. You should have an output of 13.5 to 14 vdc. If you have more than 15 and less than 13, the rectifier/regulator is dead.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    98' Seadoo GTX Limited
    Thumbs Up

Battery is dead. NO good. I have to buy another one. I'm stupid I guess. I didn't know I had to keep it on a trickle charger when the ski is sitting. So, I can't check the charging circuit until I get another one. I need to come up with a way to check the pump cone to see if it is gonna leak. I have to fine a 1/8 fitting and some hose and a gauge.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Walmart has a PWC battery for $38. I put on in my Seadoo and works great.

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    98' Seadoo GTX Limited
    Thumbs Up

That is in Arizona. I bet if I go to the one here, they will be twice that much. IF! They even carry it. The one near me doesn't always carry things the other stores do. It is due to the area. A lot of illegal aliens there. So they are gonna cater to them.

0 Not allowed!

Thread Information