Watercrafts
    96 GTS
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0 Given: 0

Default low compression, and a stuck pison ring

I just acquired a free 96 GTS from a friend. It was left out in the rain with the seat off and the carb was full of water. The engine was seized, but I broke it loose by soaking the cyls w PB Blaster and WD-40. I rebuilt the carb, and got it to run. I did a compression check and the rear cylinder is 153psi, but the front is only around 65psi. I pulled the head and everything is clean (domes, cyl and top of piston). When I twist the piston, I noticed that the top ring moves with it (stuck to the piston). The cyl with the good compression doesn't do that. What do you guys recommend I do to get the compression back up without sinking a bunch of cash into it? You think I could just re-ring it? The cylinder is virtually scratch free and I can't feel any wear with my finger. Should I just take that cyl off and have it mic'd? Thanks in advance?

0 Not allowed!

2. # ADS

Banned
    Watercrafts
    99' Seadoo Speedster
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4 Given: 0

yah, get a new ring, slap back together, and giv'ur a shot. In any case, didnt work, and need topend replaced....

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    96 GTS
    Thumbs Up

Would you recommend new gaskets and o-rings, or are these reusable?

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    96 GTS
    Thumbs Up

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of standard size oem rings without having to buy the whole piston kit?

0 Not allowed!

Banned
    Watercrafts
    99' Seadoo Speedster
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4 Given: 0

you mentioned the cheapest route/not to sink money, so, I mentioned get rings, and now replace'n gaskets/o-rings, why not dislodge the ring, clean the surface/groove from piston, get it to where the ring is usable, then if possible, install everything, and go from there.
    Most likely, ovious fix and cheapest, would be to send to "sbt", get new motor for 800buks, being a 96", if you want it to be reliable...

0 Not allowed!

Banned
    Watercrafts
    Kawasaki, Yamaha, Sea Doo and Sea Jet
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1 Given: 0

Piston rings are supposed to move with the piston. There is a small pin pressed into the ring groove to keep it in place.

What condition are the cylinder walls? Can you take a picture of the cylinder bores so we can see?

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    96 GTS
    Thumbs Up

The cylinder walls are in great shape. I can still see the original cross hatch markings all the way around. I got the top ring off the piston, but the bottom ring is stuck like Chuck! I have the piston soaking now, so maybe it'll help loosen the ring. I'm only removing one cylinder and of course the base gasket tore. Can I just buy a new gasket and cut in half and use it for the front cylinder? (Its a 580 engine)

0 Not allowed!

Watercrafts
    1997 Challenger, 1997 GTX , 1991 SP and a shop with 2 spare 787cc's and a bunch of parts laying arou
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33 Given: 0

Default Basket case?.....

Quote Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
    you mentioned the cheapest route/not to sink money, so, I mentioned get rings, and now replace'n gaskets/o-rings, why not dislodge the ring, clean the surface/groove from piston, get it to where the ring is usable, then if possible, install everything, and go from there.
    Most likely, ovious fix and cheapest, would be to send to "sbt", get new motor for 800buks, being a 96", if you want it to be reliable...
    Sounds like we got a bit in common. I had one like that.

I got a Yamaha that had gone under, then they just sat it in the back yard. I did some motor work for them on their Boston Whaler and they gave it to me for payment. The carb and motor was froze up and I poured the PB Blaster to it and within 3 days, it broke loose.

Now, here's why I quoted timmyboy. I did not want to invest one penny in this thing till I knew I had a motor that would meet at least a few seasons. So, I used old gaskets, blue glue and what ever McGyver stuff I had to, just to get it back together and make it run.

I rode it in October and November. There is a noise coming from the rear crank bearing (heard with my stethoscope), so I think I got a flat spot......but, it runs.

Now, with good compression (I should say o.k., not really good), I'm going to take the motor back down and look at the suspect bearing and go ahead and replace all the gaskets and see if it'll make this next coming season.

The point is.............you don't have to replace that gasket. It's a 2 stroke. It doesn't have a water jacket at the bottom of the head. It comes in at the side. So, try and trim it up and do like timmyboy said, try and draw that ring out and clean up the grooves, then slap all that stuff back together.

Once you think you got something that's gonna be worth puttin money into, you can estimate how much and what it is your gonna need, then make an informed decision on whether it's worth it or not..........

Is this the right way to do this?........... No. But I did it anyway.
    Looking for tips and advice, researched articles on carbs, spark plugs and general maintenance can be found at Snipes Korner. You can also follow me on "Twitter".

Quality parts at low prices, visit Seadoowarehouse right here in our own forum. Please PM me if you are having a problem finding what you need!

Is your jet ski fast? Do you want your XP or RXP to stand out? I know a place that has what you need to make it faster. Make your jetsksi a muscle craft, not just the ordinary, standard stock ski.

Seen my GTX?... Those awesome graphics can be purchased from JetSki Detailing. Tell them Seadooforum sent you.

Ever wonder what the inside of your 787cc engine looks like. Want to identify the parts, check out my thread on the 787. I'm sure there is something for everyone who want to learn about the internal parts.

0 Not allowed!

Thread Information