PDA

View Full Version : smokey seadoo spx 99

andy jolly
09-18-07, 08:43 AM
does any one now why my seadoo spx 110 hp 1998 is very smokey but otherwise runs great this is the smokeist seadoo i have ever owned any clues as to whats wrong

D 5UPE
09-18-07, 09:58 AM
Is it working on oil pump,or premix Andy?

andy jolly
09-18-07, 11:23 AM
yes its on the oil pump

D 5UPE
09-18-07, 12:41 PM
Ok.
Is it oil or steam.

andy jolly
09-18-07, 04:41 PM
its oil not steam

D 5UPE
09-18-07, 05:35 PM
So it could be worn piston rings or oil pump out of adjustment.

The premium section should have all the set up details you need for that model.
I dont have the same ski so Im just going of past troubles I've encountered with others.
Hope this helps.:)
Im sure others with the same ski know the settings you require.

andy jolly
09-21-07, 11:46 AM
does anybody no how to set oil pump on seadoo 98 spx

Captain Rick
09-23-07, 07:08 PM
The Truth about Sea-doo oil pump :
If its pre 2000 nearly every mechanic I talk to and almost ALL
race crews will tell you to that after 5 years take the pump out and go to
premix. I found this out AFTER I lost an engine to the $()*#& pump.
I have a 96 GTX same engine as yours. Much happier with premix as I know the engine is getting the oil it needs now.
If you go this route just pull the pump slide the plastic shaft out and put a block off plate on. then clamp off the feeder line from the tank. Keep the tank :)
you need it to feed the bottom end of the engine with oil.
Good Luck
If you keep the pump I suggest you buy a new pump and shaft, dont take any chances with this, its the blood supply to your heart.
Rick

seadoosnipe
09-23-07, 10:26 PM
Andy, you have a PM from me.

Wheels & Waves
09-23-07, 11:23 PM
You may have an oil pump adjustment problem, but more than likely you have a rotary valve shaft seal going down. There are two seals on the crankshaft that keep oil in the rotary valve shaft chamber and out of the combustion chambers. When these seals start to leak, it allows the injector oil that passes through the rotary valve shaft chamber to leak into the cylinders. When this happens, there is an excessive amount of oil being burned. Eventually, the leak will get worse and the engine will constantly foul plugs. A couple of ways to check are to pull the plugs and place a clean rag over the cylinders and turn the engine over. You will see oil on the rag if you have excess oil in the cylinders. Also, if the leak is substantial, you can pull the impulse line from the carb pump and turn the engine over. You will get an oily mist out if at least the Mag cylinder is leaking.
BTW, to check the oil pump setting, stick a mirror under the carbs and look for the oil pump. With the throttle closed, the dash mark on the arm should line up with the dash on the pump. If not, adjust the cable at the carb mount bracket to line up.

andy jolly
09-24-07, 01:47 PM
thanks don i have taken plugs out and turned over but no oil on rag

andy jolly
10-19-07, 02:46 PM
thanks for your advise there is loads of oil in the chambers what seals should i replace is it the crank shaft seals what is the procedre to do this or is it best to fit new crank shaft

Wheels & Waves
10-19-07, 04:54 PM
The only way to replace those seals is to remove and rebuild the crankshaft. This is where the 'ole "snowball" effect comes in. If you have to a complete teardown anyway, why not replace the top end too. It may be best to purchase a rebuilt engine assembly from a place like SBT or a Sea Doo remanufactured engine. This would be the easiest way...just do an engine swap.

andy jolly
10-26-07, 06:55 AM
why do you have to replace the crank seals i thought it was just the rotarey valve seal that kept oil out off the cylinders

seadoosnipe
10-26-07, 09:49 AM
I think I can answer up for Don on this one. Those seals aren't split. If you notice on my thread "look inside the 787" in the boat section, I have a close up look of the rotary shaft. You'll notice that the shaft is in the middle, between the two pistons. There is no way to replace those seals without removing and replacing all the seals. The oil chamber to the rotary isn't suppose to leak oil into the piston cylinders.
........Louis

Wheels & Waves
10-26-07, 09:18 PM
:agree:The seals in question are assembled on the crankshaft. They are on either side of the rotary valve drive gear on the crankshaft. When the assembly is placed in the crankcase, the seals provide a sealed area for the oil bath that lubes the rotary valve gears. When these seals start to leak, it allows the injector oil to get into the cylinders and would cause excessive smoke from too much oil.

andy jolly
11-02-07, 08:12 AM
engine now striped and the rotary seals have gone the crank looks like new one

seadoosnipe
11-02-07, 09:59 AM
So if I'm reading this right, your saying you did get down to the crank and the seals are wasted. Your going to replace them yoursef?......good job!

andy jolly
11-02-07, 04:14 PM
i have now passed the job to an ex seadoo machanic and he is rebuilding with all new gaskets 150 for the job its not worth me messing with it at that price

seadoosnipe
11-02-07, 07:59 PM
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal then....!
I don't know if I'd want to get my hands dirty if I can find someone to do the job at a reasonable price. Nowadays though, it seems people are always wanting to take all your money!