PDA

View Full Version : No acceleration-2000 Islandia with Mercury 240

Tall1
05-26-10, 09:03 PM
I have a 2000 Islandia with a Mercury 240 jet drive I purchased a few months ago. It has been running fine until the last time I took it out. It started fine at the ramp, but as I left the ramp and went to full throttle, it wouldn't turn more than 3500 rpm, wouldn't get on a plane, and wouldn't go more than around 10mph. The fuel filter, water seperator, and spark plugs appeared to be original, so I replaced them. It has made no difference at all. It still will not accelerate and get on a plane. Any ideas? Thanks!

Dr Honda
05-27-10, 07:18 AM
I'm not real good with the Merc drives... but if it won't go past 3500 rpm...

Does it sound like it's bouncing off the rev limiter? The neutral safety switch may be messed up. But as I recall... it has a single control/throttle lever, so I'm not sure where the switch is... but it should be in the control housing.

Is your boat injected or does it have carbs?

Tall1
05-27-10, 06:05 PM
It is fuel injected, and the shifter and throttle controls are seperate from each other. The way it is now, the more throttle I give it, the more it sounds like it's bogging down. It doesn't sound like it's hitting a rev limiter. Thanks for the reply.