PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy ot not? Need Advice

exwrestler
03-02-08, 07:16 PM
Im looking at a 2002 Utopia 185 with a Merc. 210. Could you fellow Seadooers guide me on this issue. Is this a good boat? Will it lift and pull up a skier? Is it a good engine? Thanks

seadoosnipe
03-02-08, 08:31 PM
Yes, it's a nice boat with plenty of power to lift you out of the water. That was a venture Mercury took with Sea-Doo on their jet powered Mercury M-2 engine. It's a V-6 and the pump drops from the bottom verses the side as do all the Rotax engines.
Sea-Doo is no longer using the M-2 engines in their newer Utopia's. They have opted for the lighter weight 4-TEC engines.
The only other thing I can tell you about them, is you can't shop for the engine parts in the same places that most members on our forum do. You have to use a Mercury site or dealer to find parts. All other parts are available through the regular sites that we all use.........
Good luck!..........:cheers:

kustomkarl
03-03-08, 02:58 PM
:agree: Seadoosnipe is correct... as I feel the same way ...
Karl

exwrestler
03-03-08, 07:54 PM
What sites do you all use to get parts for your boats?
Thanks

seadoosnipe
03-03-08, 08:34 PM
Although the Utopia you are looking at is a nice Sea-Doo boat, you will fall into another class of distributers due to the Mercury engine. There is no one answer on who all the parts distributers are. Like e-bay, people look and compare from a big variety of shops. I do know that Babbitts is one of the top sellers. And for the Rotax engines, SBT seems to be a leader. But then again, these distributers will have a limited use for you and the Utopia. You will be able to find parts for your hull at the same places any Sea-Doo enthusiast buys and SBT may have your impeller.
That's about all I know off the top of my head.

ScubaDoo
03-03-08, 10:27 PM
Other than engine parts...you really shouldn't much else in the way of maintenance. An 02 boat should be in pretty good condition.