PDA

View Full Version : My worst nightmare-help

mtyaker
06-26-09, 03:19 PM
I just purchased a 2001 Speedster, Merc M2 engine. I had a dealer perform a compression check first-all good 115-120 each, but the impeller, wear ring and grate needed replacing. I bought the boat from the private party at a reduced price, $6000 and had the dealer do the repairs ($1800). I bought the boat home to my house, 200 miles from the seller and dealer.

I put it in the water and it ran for 15 minutes and quit. The local dealer now claims I have a bad cylinder-20psi on compression. They want to replace the engine, $6500 more dollar!

What should I do, beside cut my wrist?

Sikiguya
06-26-09, 03:35 PM
You need to get a second opinion...rather a third opinion.

While I am not the first to point fingers and play the blame game, the first dealer have a little explaning to do if the second dealer is right. Whether you pay for the inspection or not, you went to them with for a evaluation of the boat. They gave it a clean bill with minor repair. Either he is lying or the second guy is lying. You need to find out.:(

Craigmri
06-26-09, 03:42 PM
I'd call dealer A and tell them your situation. Its totally possible that "at the time of testing" the compression was good and ironically after the first outing it failed. I dont know but I too would be trying to find out what is what. Is it possible you ran that 15 minutes with no oil?

BTW, Jim, love the avatar.

Craig

Sikiguya
06-26-09, 04:23 PM
I think you want to verify it before calling the first dealer. The second guy might be wrong. If so, then everything is good.

If it is confirmed that a new engine is needed, then you need to contact the first dealer to discuss what happened. I trust Craig if he saids that it could happen....but that opens up a whole new discussion. What should someone do when buying one of these in the future?:willy_nilly:

Thanks for the compliment...been trying to get a better shot...Hopefully in the next week or so! Did you get your boat yet? How was the bike trip? Photos of both??:cheers:

mtyaker
06-26-09, 04:52 PM
I live in Montana and these are two of the only three dealers around,, 3rd opinion would be hard to come by. Dealer B did perform the test 3 times dry (13, 18 and 23psi and again wet, no improvement).

I thinking it's going to come down to sell the boat with a bag motor and take a $6,500 hit or have $14,000 into a $7,500 boat.

Don't know which is worse?

mtyaker
06-26-09, 04:54 PM
Also, the boat had oil, not the problem. I assumed it was a bad fuel filter, as it ran find between episodes of shutting down.

Sikiguya
06-26-09, 06:55 PM
Bummer to be in that predicament!

Have you talked to the first dealer??? What did they have to say about it?

hydro_37
06-26-09, 08:24 PM
I live in Montana and these are two of the only three dealers around,, 3rd opinion would be hard to come by. Dealer B did perform the test 3 times dry (13, 18 and 23psi and again wet, no improvement).

I thinking it's going to come down to sell the boat with a bag motor and take a $6,500 hit or have $14,000 into a $7,500 boat.

Don't know which is worse?

13,18 and 23??? if that are the readings then you have more then 1 bad cylinder.

mtyaker
06-27-09, 10:39 AM
Those were all from the same cylinder, I had them test it multiple times.