PDA

View Full Version : 2002 challenger 210hp mercury smoking

Scottsmach03
06-04-09, 08:17 PM
I know all two strokes smoke a little, and mine is no different. I noticed that this season there is a little more smoke, and takes longer for the smoke to "thin". I bought the boat last year and never had to change the oil or anything. The origional owner had it already to go. I dont know what oil he use but when I put fresh oil in this season I put in pennzoil full synthetic 2 cycle oil. I looked in my manual and it said this was acceptable oil for the mercurys.

Is there a difference as far as smoking goes between the pennzoil and say the quicksilver?

There are no performance issues, it idles and handle just the same as it did last year. I got it up to 55mph the other day and thats the same speed it top'd out at before.

rookie101
06-04-09, 09:19 PM
I can't tell you for sure if the extra smoke is from switching oils, but I know from my dirt bikes and quads any time I tried a cheaper oil they would smoke like a bugger and foul plugs.

Aaron:cheers:

Scottsmach03
06-05-09, 11:09 AM
Its not enough smoke to foul the plugs, its just a constant real thin smoke. Last year it would smoke a little but once it warmed up it wasnt noticable. I going to buy a few gallons of quicksilver this weekend and change it out. Maybe the quicksilver burns a little better.

Scottsmach03
06-05-09, 10:45 PM
I went up to walmart and looked at the quicksilver oil, they have a semi synthetic, a premium, and then a full synthetic but its not a tc-w3. Since i have a mercury it specifys the tc-w3 2 cycle oil. The pennzoil full synthetic was the same price as the quicksilver semi synthetic. Seems like the full synthetic would be the better choice.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

rookie101
06-05-09, 11:09 PM
I run the Quicksilver premium TC-W3 in my 200 Optimax, and have zero smoke. Take that with a grain of salt though, as it may or may not be directly related to the type of oil.

I can't comment of the Pennzoil because I have never tried it in my boat, but the Mercury manual I have specifically recommends the premium.

Scottsmach03
06-06-09, 12:54 AM
I run the Quicksilver premium TC-W3 in my 200 Optimax, and have zero smoke. Take that with a grain of salt though, as it may or may not be directly related to the type of oil.

I can't comment of the Pennzoil because I have never tried it in my boat, but the Mercury manual I have specifically recommends the premium.

Thanks for the insight Aaron; im going to fill it up with a tank of gas this weekend, clean the plugs and then take it out see if there is any smoke. If there is then I will try the quicksilver.